Branovan tops Panthers with a goal and an assist
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Gabriella Moscato (Wakefield, Mass.) scored three second-period goals Saturday afternoon to lift the University of New England to a 4-3 victory over Plymouth State University in New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's action at Hanaway Rink.
Senior Gabby Crugnale (Malden, Mass.) collected three assists and classmate Sydney Helmbrecht (Grand Rapids, Mich.) made 34 saves for the Nor'Easters, as they improved to 6-7-2 overall and 3-3-1 in the NEHC.
Plymouth State, which out-shot the visitors 34-21, was led by senior Haley Branovan (Canadaigua, N.Y.), who tallied a goal and an assist. The loss dropped the Panthers to 5-9-1 overall and 2-6 in the NEHC.
at Hanaway RInk, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017
Univ. of New England 4, Plymouth State 2
PSU 5-8-1 (2-5-0 NEHC); UNE 6-7-2 (3-3-1 NEHC)
* Branovan gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead with a power play goal with just 16 seconds remaining in the first period, snapping a shot into the top corner from near the right circle. Freshman Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) assisted on the play.
* The Nor'Easters came alive with two goals in 26 seconds midway through the second period. Senior Abby Kinens Houlton, Maine) tied the game at 9:23, with assists from juniors Kierra Wright (Georgia, Vt.) and Annie Mullen (Concord, N.H.). Moscato fired a loose puck inside the left post to put UNE ahead at 9:49, with Crugnale assisting.
* Moscato's second goal came less than two minutes later on a Nor'Easter power play, set up by Crugnale and senior Mary Wirth (South Elgin, Ill.).
* PSU stopped the bleeding just 44 second later when senior Lauren Connelly (Braintree, Mass.) converted a one-timer from classmate Frederike Brazeau-Lalonde (Thetford Mines, Que.), cutting the UNE margin to 3-2 with eight minutes to go in the middle frame.
* Moscato rounded out her hat trick with a goal on a rebound with five minutes remaining in the period. Moscato came into the game with just one goal in 14 games this season.
* PSU again pulled to within a goal on a power play midway through the third period when junior Courtney Evans (Fairbanks, Alaska) found a hole in the top right corner and snapped a shot through traffic past the goalie, with Branovan assisting.
* The Panthers had numerous chances in the rest of the way but couldn't get one past Helmbrecht. They had two power play opportunities, and pulled the goalie in the final minute for a 6-on-4 advantage before the clock ran out.
* PSU senior Ally Altschuler (Cheshire, Conn.) made 17 saves but took the loss (1-1).
* PSU plays an NEHC contest Friday, Jan. 20, at the University of Southern Maine at 4:00 p.m. before hosting Castleton University on Saturday, Jan 21, at 2:00 p.m.
* UNE plays a pair of road games next weekend, traveling to Holy Cross on Friday, Jan. 20, and Saint Anselm College on Saturday, Jan. 21.
-- 30 --