Branovan sets career scoring record for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University women's ice hockey team completed a three-point weekend Saturday afternoon, skating to a 1-1 tie against Castleton University in New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's action at Hanaway Rink.
Freshman Kailey Jacobs (Westwood, Mass.) and senior Frederike Brazeau-Lalonde (Thetford Mines, Que.) scored goals for the Panthers. PSU, which nipped Southern Maine 1-0 in overtime on Friday night, is now 6-9-2 overall and 3-6-1 in the NEHC.
The Spartans got goals from sophomores Jocelyn Forrest (Prince George, B.C.) and Aimee Briand (Barrington, N.H.), with Briand's goal tying the score at 2-2 in the final minute of the second period. Castleton is now 4-10-3 overall and 3-5-1 in conference play.
Plymouth State and Castleton are tied with the University of New England for seventh place in the NEHC, and tied for fourth among Division III teams.
New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey
at Hanaway RInk, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017
Plymouth State 2, Castleton 2
PSU 6-9-2 (3-6-1 NEHC); CU 4-10-3 (3-5-1 NEHC)
* Jacobs needed less than a minute to put the Panthers on the board, potting her third goal of the season just 43 seconds after the opening face-off. Junior Courtney Evans (Fairbanks, Alaska) and senior Haley Branovan (Canadaigua, N.Y.) collected assists on the play.
* Branovan extended her PSU career assist record to 25 assists, and became PSU's career scoring leader with 39 points (14-25-39).
* Forrest evened the score at the 8:15 mark of the opening period, her fifth of the season assisted by freshman Bre Babiarz (Yorkville, N.Y.). Castleton ended up with a 9-4 margin in shots in the first 20 minutes.
* PSU took the lead again when Brazeau-Lalonde scored her second of the season at the 7:53 mark of the second period, assisted by freshman Sydney Linnick (Highland's Ranch, Colo.).
* Brand scored the tying goal at 19:16 of the second period, with assists from Felicia Bjalvegard (Granna Sweden) and Sabrina Hosner (Penticton, B.C.).
* Neither team was able to score in the third period or overtime, with PSU out-shooting the visitors 10-6 in the third period and Castleton having a 3-1 shot advantage in the extra session.
* Both teams came up empty on the power play, Castleton on five opportunities and PSU on two.
* Junior Mariah Trupp (Topeka, Kans.) made 31 saves in goal for PSU, moving her record to 3-2-1, while freshman Alexis Kalm (Aberdeen, N.C.) made 21 saves at the other end.
* PSU is back in action Tuesday with a non-conference home game against Johnson & Wales University (6:00 p.m.) Castleton skates again next Friday in an NEHC match-up at the University of New England (7:00 p.m.)
-- 30 --