Lindqvist makes 30 saves to lead Panthers to non-conference win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore goaltender Emelie Lindqvist (Gullerason, Sweden) made 30 saves Tuesday evening and the Plymouth State University women's ice hockey team used a balanced offensive attack to defeat Johnson & Wales University, 5-1, in a non-conference game at Hanaway Rink.
The Panthers got goals from five different players, including juniors Alivia Bates (Pennsauken, N.J.) and Taylor Shrode (Craig, Colo.), who each tallied their first goal of the season. Freshmen Alie Louie (Mount Laurel, N.J.) and Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) also notched their second goals of the year, and classmate Alexis Fagan (Wakefield, R.I.) tacked on her seventh of the season late in the third period.
PSU is 2-0-1 in its last three games to improve to 7-9-2 overall, while Johnson & Wales, which plays in the new Colonial Hockey Conference, drops to 7-10-1 overall.
NCAAA Non-conference Division III women's ice hockey
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017
Plymouth State 5, Johnson & Wales 1
PSU 7-9-2; JWU 7-10-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Bates scored the only goal of the first period when she pounded home a rebound at the 17:06 mark after freshman Julie Nagel (Canton, Mass.) was denied at the doorstep. Senior Emily Auby (Stoughton, Wisc.) also assisted on the play.
* The Panthers doubled their lead a minute into the second period when Louie converted a power play goal from sophomore Mackenzie Kennedy (Brea, Calif.) and Auby. Connor scored on a breakaway set up by Louie midway through the middle frame to extend the lead to 3-0.
* The Wildcats got on the board with two minutes left in the second period when sophomore Kathy Ensor (St. Louis, Mo.) broke free on a breakaway and slipped a shot through the goalie pads for a shorthanded goal, bringing the visitors to within two goals entering the third period.
* Shrode scored an impressive goal in the middle of the third period to make it 4-1, making nice moves to get past the defense and going in alone on the goalie before depositing it into the back of the net. Fagan rounded out the scoring with a power play goal from Connor and sophomore Brooke Maggy (Alhambra, Calif.) with 2:29 to play.
* Junior Kami Weiner (Elk Grove Village, Ill.) made 25 saves in the Johnson & Wales net.
* PSU had nine freshman among its 18 skaters.
* PSU is back to New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) action Friday at Franklin Pierce University for a 7:30 p.m. face-off. Johnson & Wales plays a Colonial Hockey Conference game Saturday at Salem State University (5:00 p.m.)
-- 30 --