Connelly scores lone goal for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore goaltender Britney Evangelista (North Smithfield, R.I.) made 30 saves Friday evening to lead the University of Southern Maine to a 2-1 victory over Plymouth State University in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's game at Hanaway Rink.
The host Panthers out-shot the visitors in all three periods, including 9-2 and 10-4 margins in the final two frames and 31-12 overall, but Evangelista stood strong in the Husky net. She denied PSU on nine power play opportunities to earn the win and improve her record to 3-7-1.
Senior Katie Couture (Harrisville, R.I.) and sophomore Alex Mitchell (Wrentham, Mass.) led the Huskies with a goal and an assist each. Senior Lauren Connelly (Braintree, Mass.) scored for PSU with five minutes to go in the third period to cut the margin to one goal, but Evangelista did the rest to secure the win for USM.
PSU, which pulled out a 1-0 overtime victory over the Huskies two weeks ago in Gorham, Maine, dropped to 7-11-2 overall and 3-8-1 in the NEHC. USM improves to 6-12-1 overall and 4-7-1 in conference play.
New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Friday, Feb. 3, 2017
Southern Maine 2, Plymouth State 1
PSU 7-11-2 (3-8-1 NEHC); USM 6-12-1 (4-7-1 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Southern Maine got on the board five minutes into the first period when Couture scored on a wrap-around, tucking the puck inside the right goal post for her eighth of the season. Mitchell and senior Olivia Barragree (Red Lodge, Mont.) collected assists on the play.
* The Huskies nearly scored again with six minutes left in the opening frame when junior Tatiana Doucette (Lynn, Mass.) came out of the penalty box behind the Panther defense and went in alone, but PSU sophomore goalie Emelie Lindqvist (Gullerason, Sweden) made a big save.
* USM went up 2-0 just 1:33 into the second period when Mitchell, who was open in the slot, re-directed a shot from the point by sophomore Tawni Mohler (McCall, Idaho) for her eighth of the season. Couture also recorded an assist on the play.
* PSU finally got on the board at 15:08 of the third period when Connelly snuck a shot through Evangelista's pads from the right side for her fourth of the season, with senior Frederike Brazeau-Lalonde (Thetford Mines, Que.) and junior Shannon Hickey (Arlington, Mass.) assisting on the play.
* The Panthers put extreme pressure on the Husky net in the final two minutes. PSU pulled its goalie and USM took a minor penalty to create a 6-on-4 advantage for the home team, but the clock ran out on the Panthers.
* PSU finished 0-for-9 on the power play while USM was 1-for-6 with the extra skater.
* Lindqvist finished with 10 saves in the Panther goal but took the loss (3-7-1).
* Both teams play New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) games Saturday as PSU hosts Nichols College at 2:00 p.m. and USM returns home to host Franklin Pierce University at 4:00 p.m.
-- 30 --