Roy and Nagel score goals for Panthers
BIDDEFORD, Maine – Seniors Abby Kinens (Houlton, Maine) and Mary Wirth (Elgin, Ill.) scored goals 2:08 apart midway through the second period Friday evening to lift the University of New England women's ice hockey team to a 3-2 win over Plymouth State University in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) game at the Harold Alfond Forum.
PSU had taken a 2-1 lead on goals by sophomore Kelsey Roy (Fort Collins, Colo.) and freshman Julie Nagel (Canton, Mass.) before UNE rallied to regain the lead. Neither team was able to score over the final 25 minutes of the game as the Nor'Easters held on for the one-goal win.
UNE heads into its final regular-season contest Saturday with a mark of 9-13-2 (6-9-1 NEHC), while the Panthers will take a ledger of 8-14-2 (4-11-1) into their regular-season finale Saturday versus Norwich University.
New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey
at Harold Alfond Forum, Biddeford, Maine – Friday, Feb. 17, 2017
Univ. of New England 3, Plymouth State 2
PSU 8-14-2 (4-11-1 NEHC); UNE 9-13-2 (6-9-1 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
* With the Nor'easters trailing 2-1, Kinens tied the score with eight minutes remaining in the second, converting from the low slot after Cassandra Connolly (Woburn, Mass.) found her from behind the cage. Marykate Drinkwater (Franklin, Mass.) had a secondary assist.
* Wirth would notch the power-play game-winner 2:08 later when she skated into the mid-slot from the left boards and sniped home a wrist shot. Kierra Wright (Georgia, Vt.) had sent the puck toward the Plymouth State goal and received credit for an assist.
* UNE goaltender Sydney Helmbrecht made the one-goal advantage stand up the rest of the way, piling up 14 saves in the third period to finish the evening with a total of 28. She made a brilliant stop of a potential game-tying bid by sophomore Brooke Maggy (Alhambra, Calif.) with 2:24 remaining, snapping up a wrister headed for just inside the right post.
* Connolly tallied the lone goal of the opening period to give UNE a 1-0 cushion, stuffing in a pass from Annie Mullen (Concord, N.H.) at the 11:12 mark.
* The Panthers would respond with back-to-back markers in the second to pull ahead, 2-1. Roy scored in heavy traffic from the top of the crease with 51 seconds elapsed on a goal assisted by senior Lauren Connelly (Braintree, Mass.) and junior Shannon Hickey (Arlington, Mass.). Nagel gave Plymouth State a one-goal lead at 8:30 when she cleaned up a rebound from the left doorstep. Junior Alivia Bates (Pennsauken, N.J.) had put the first shot on goal after taking a pass from senior Emily Auby (Stoughton, Wisc.).
* Junior goaltender Mariah Trupp (Topeka, Kan.) came up with 23 stops for Plymouth State.
* Both teams will honor their seniors Saturday before their games. The Nor'Easters will recognize nine senior prior to their meeting versus St. Michael's College at the Alfond Forum (4 p.m.), while the Panthers will honor their seven seniors before a 2:00 p.m. meeting vs. Norwich at Hanaway Rink.
(Courtesy of UNE Sports Information)
-- 30 --