Fagan scores lone goal for Panthers; NEHC playoffs up next
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Amanda Conway (Methuen, Mass.) scored four goals Saturday afternoon to lead Norwich University to a 6-1 victory over Plymouth State University in the New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's regular season finale at Hanaway Rink.
Conway scored once in the first period, twice in the middle stanza and tacked on her final goal on the power play with two minutes remaining in the third. The rookie sharpshooter now shares the NEHC lead with 17 goals this season. Freshman Sophie McGovern (Hermantown, Minn.) collected three assists as the Cadets wrapped up the regular season at 19-5-1 overall and 15-2-0 in conference play.
Freshman Alexis Fagan (Wakefield, R.I.) scored the lone Panther goal early in the second period to cut the Norwich lead to 2-1, but Conway scored two goals in the next four minutes to push the margin up to 4-1. PSU winds up the regular season with an 8-15-2 overall record and a 4-12-1 conference mark.
Norwich has clinched the #1 seed in the NEHC Tournament and will be home for a first-round game next Saturday, Feb. 25, while PSU will be on the road for its first-round game. Final playoff pairings will be announced on Sunday.
New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017
Norwich 6, Plymouth State 1
PSU 8-15-2 (4-12-1 NEHC); NU 19-5-1 (15-2-0 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Conway scored the only goal of the first period despite a 9-4 shot advantage for the Cadets. Sophomore Bryn Labbe (Calgary, Alb.) and McGovern sent passes ahead to Conway on the right side, and she broke in on the goalie before slipping a shot through the pads for a 1-0 lead.
* Junior Sarah Schwenzfeier (Hingham, Mass.) put the Cadets up by two with a goal three minutes into the second period. She received a nice pass from behind the net by sophomore Carly Menges (Novelty, Ohio) before shooting the puck in off the goalie's shoulder. Schwenzfeier now has 16 goals this season.
* PSU stopped any momentum with Fagan's goal less than a minute later. Senior Haley Branovan (Canandaigua, N.Y.) skated behind the net and set up Fagan on the left side and she finished off her ninth goal of the season, tops on the team.
* Conway snuck a shot through the pads just 28 seconds later to give Norwich its two-goal lead back, and rounded out her hat trick at the 7:02 mark, redirecting a pass from McGovern after Labbe had been denied on her shot attempt.
* Norwich tacked on a pair of power play goals in the third period, as sophomore Adrieana Rossini (Malden, Mass.) scored her 15th of the season on a shot from the right circle, and Conway wrapped up the scoring with 2:05 to play.
* Junior Laurie King (Waddington, N.Y.) earned the win in the Norwich goal, making 14 saves to improve her record to 15-2-1.
* The NEHC Tournament begins next Saturday, Feb. 25, with first round games. Norwich will be on home ice while PSU will be on the road. Final pairings will be announced on Sunday.
-- 30 --