Panthers eliminated by top seed in first round
NORTHFIELD, Vt. – The Plymouth State University women's ice hockey season came to an end Saturday afternoon when the eighth-seeded Panthers were eliminated in the first round of the New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) playoffs by top-seeded and fourth-ranked Norwich University, 5-0, at Kreitzburg Arena.
The Cadets (20-5-1) got two goals and an assist from sophomore Bryn Labbe (Calgary, Alb.) and will now host the NEHC Championship Weekend for the seventh straight season. Norwich will take on the Univ. of New England in the first semifinal Saturday at 4 p.m.
New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) Women's Quarterfinal
at Kreitzburg Arena, Northfield, Vt. – Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017
Norwich 5, Plymouth State 0
PSU 8-16-2; NU 20-5-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Labbe got the Cadets rolling with a goal on a deflection in the slot at the 11:35 mark of the first period, redirecting a shot from Kim Tiberi (Raleigh, N.C.) at the point. Sophie McGovern (Hermantown, Minn.) also picked up an assist on the goal after playing the puck back to Tiberi from the half boards.
* Norwich made it 2-0 just 33 seconds later when Maggie Conroy (Batavia, Ill.) scored her first of the season with a pretty deke on her backhand. Muranda Toews (Grand Prairie, Alberta) notched the primary assist to spring Conroy on the 1-on-1 situation with the goalie.
* Labbe increased the lead to 3-0 with her second of the night and eighth of the season at the 3:21 mark of the middle period, scoring off her own rebound.
* Norwich made it 4-0 just 1:38 later when Adelle Murphy (Roseau, Minn.) deflected a Desirae Kuhlmann (Swift Current, Sask.) shot from the point for a power play goal. Carly Menges (Novelty, Ohio) picked up the second assist on the goal.
* The Cadets capped the scoring with another power play goal with nine seconds left in the game when Tiberi buried a shot into the top left corner of the net off a rebound.
* Junior goalie Laurie King (Waddington, N.Y.) made seven saves in 40 minutes to improve to 16-2-1 on the season. Celeste Robert (Rouyn-Noranda, Que.) came on to make five saves in the final 20 minutes, including a sprawling full-extension save to rob a PSU forward of a wide-open net.
* Norwich improved to 21-0-0 all-time vs. Plymouth State. The Cadets are looking to win their seventh NEHC Championship in now its 10th year as a varsity program. UMass Boston beat NU 2-0 in last year's title game at Kreitzberg.
(Courtesy of Norwich Sports Information)
-- 30 --