Igo makes 42 stops in debut for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Gabbie Igo (Phoenix, Arix.) stopped 42 shots in her first start for the Panthers, but Plymouth State University was defeated by the University of New England for the second consecutive day, 5-2, in a non-conference women's ice hockey matchup at Hanaway Rink on Saturday afternoon.
UNE jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period off of two goals by senior Julianne Sheehan (Chelmsford, Mass.). Plymouth State got one back in the second on the first goal of the season for captain Kelsey Roy (Ft. Collins, Colo.), but Sheehan scored again in the third to complete the hat trick and the Nor'easters tacked on two more goals in the third period.
Plymouth State falls to 2-7-3 on the season, while UNE improves to 12-2-1 after the weekend sweep.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 2, UNE 5
Plymouth State (2-7-3)
How it Happened:
* UNE got on the board first when Sheehan cashed in on a 2-on-1 opportunity off a feed from freshman Kenady Nevicosi (Breckenridge, Colo.) at the 8:01 mark in the first period.
* Sheehan doubled the Nor'easters lead with a power play strike with under two minutes remaining for her second goal of the period.
* Plymouth State cut the deficit in half just 1:29 into the second when Roy put home the rebound off a shot from junior Alexis Fagan (Wakefield, R.I.).
* Fagan had a breakaway opportunity with under 11 minutes left in the second, but sophomore goaltender Julia Benjamin (Tolland, Conn.) just got a piece of the shot with her blocker to preserve UNE's lead.
* Sheehan scored 1:20 into the third to complete her hat trick and senior Alex Mitchell (Wrentham, Mass.) padded the Nor'easters' lead with a shot from the slot at the 8:58 mark.
* Junior Tatum Gietl (Littleton, Colo.) added one more for the visitors when she deflected a shot from sophomore Shannon Nadeau (Colchester, Vt.).
* Senior Brooke Maggy (Los Angeles, Calif.) scored on a backhand shot after some nice stick handling through several defenders to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
* Igo turned aside a career-high 42 shots in her PSU debut.
* Benjamin made 22 saves en route to her 11th win of the season (11-2-1).
* UNE outshot the Panthers by a 47-24 margin.
* PSU's power play was held scoreless for the second straight game, going 0-for-4, while the Nor'easters converted two of their seven opportunities.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We came out with a lot more jump today," said head coach Mykul Haun. "Although we had limited shots in the first, we possessed and controlled the play. We were very excited for Gabbie [Igo] to get the start today and she gave us a chance to win with every save she made. Our penalty kill has been playing well over the weekend – just a few good shots and tips by UNE on the power play were the game changers."
* Plymouth State will return to action this Tuesday (Jan. 8) at 6:00 p.m. for a matchup with Trinity College on Scouts' Night at Hanaway Rink.
* The Nor'easters return home on Friday (Jan. 11) to begin a weekend series with Suffolk University, with puck-drop at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –