Lindqvist makes 34 saves, Bradshaw nets first career goal in NEHC setback
RUTLAND, Vt. – Senior Emelie Lindqvist (Gulleråsen, Sweden) made 34 saves and freshman Hannah Bradshaw (Traverse City, Mich.) notched her first collegiate goal, but Plymouth State University fell to Castleton University, 3-2, in overtime in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey game at Spartan Arena on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers took the lead with the lone goal of the first period, but Castleton came back with a pair of power play strikes in the middle period. Bradshaw tied the game at 2-2 midway through the third period, but the Spartans cashed in with a third power play goal 2:15 into overtime.
Plymouth State falls to 3-12-3 and 2-5-3 in NEHC play, while the Spartans improve to 5-12-3 and 5-4-2 in conference action.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 2, Castleton 3 (OT)
Plymouth State (3-12-3, 2-5-3 NEHC)
Castleton (5-12-3, 5-4-2 NEHC)
How it Happened:
* Plymouth State took a 1-0 lead at the 17:52 mark of the opening period when junior Alie Louie (Mount Laurel, N.J.) took a feed from classmate Sydney Linnick (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) along the blue line, before ripping a shot that appeared to deflect off a Castleton skater and into the net.
* The Spartans evened the game with a power play goal early in the second period. Freshman Ryanne Mix (Kennewick, Wash.) fired a shot from the point that found the back of the net 3:45 into the frame.
* Castleton pulled ahead with another power play tally at the 11:22 mark when senior Jocelyn Forrest (Prince George, B.C.) made a move around a Panther defender before finding the top corner for a 2-1 lead.
* The Panthers pulled even midway through the third period. Senior Brooke Maggy (Los Angeles, Calif.) picked up the puck in the defensive zone, skated through three Castleton players along the boards and snapped a wrist shot that was saved, but Bradshaw was there to tip in the rebound for her first collegiate goal.
* Castleton cashed in on its third power play goal of the game 2:15 into the overtime period when sophomore Courtney Gauthier (Tampa, Fla.) slid a pass through traffic from the left circle to Forrest on the back side, who touched it in.
Inside the Numbers:
* Castleton finished 3-of-4 on the power play, while the Panthers were held scoreless in their one extra skater opportunity.
* Lindqvist made 34 saves for the Panthers but dropped to 2-5-1, while senior Rylie Wills (Sioux Lookout, Ont.) made 23 stops to improve to 3-6-2.
* Plymouth State hosts Johnson & Wales in a rescheduled NEHC game on Sunday (Jan. 27) for Mental Health Awareness Night. Puck drop is set for 6:30 p.m.
* The Spartans head to the University of Massachusetts Boston on Friday (Feb. 1) for a 4:00 p.m. game.
– 30 –