Lindqvist stops 25 shots in NEHC setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Emelie Lindqvist (Gulleråsen, Sweden) tallied 25 saves, but Plymouth State University was shutout by Johnson & Wales University, 1-0, in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Sunday night.
Plymouth State surrendered a first period goal and, despite some strong pushes on the offensive end, could not find the back of the net. Senior Brooke Maggy (Los Angeles, Calif.) had multiple bids on breakaway opportunities, but Wildcat freshman goaltender Jasmine Mucci (Arlington, Mass.) was up to the task each time.
With the loss Plymouth State falls to 3-13-3 and 2-6-3 in conference play. Johnson & Wales improves to 6-12-3 overall and 4-7-1 in league action.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 0, Johnson & Wales 1
Plymouth State (3-13-3, 2-6-3 NEHC)
Johnson & Wales (6-12-3, 4-7-1 NEHC)
How it Happened:
* Junior Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) had the first big chance of the night for Plymouth State when she took a pass through the slot and slid a wrist shot to the far post that Mucci pushed away with her pad.
* Johnson & Wales struck at the 8:07 mark in the first period when sophomore Drea Westgaard (Elk River, Minn.) skated into the slot in transition and took a wrist shot that slipped under Lindqvist's glove.
* JWU had a breakaway opportunity coming off a penalty kill in the second, but Lindqvist stood her ground to make the pad save.
* Maggy had a breakaway big of her own as he skated into the zone along the far side, but Mucci paddled the puck away and gloved the follow up shot.
* Maggy had another breakaway opportunity in the third, making a move to her right before shooting the puck back to the left side, but Mucci was able to make the stop.
* The Wildcats had an open look face-to-face with Lindqvist midway through the third, but again she stood her ground and saved the five-hole bid.
* Plymouth State applied late offensive pressure with an extra skater, and a stretch pass led to one more shot in the final seconds, but Mucci made the save and the final horn sounded.
Inside the Numbers:
* Plymouth State outshot the Wildcats by a 32-26 margin.
* Lindqvist made 25 saves but fell to 2-6-1, while Mucci (5-9-3) saved all 32 shots she faced for her first career shutout.
* Both teams were held scores on the power play, with PSU going 0-for-3 and the Wildcats 0-for-2.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"I thought we created a lot of great opportunities today, but we just couldn't finish," said head coach Mykul Haun. "I felt like we controlled the pace for the most part and we played well, but our intensity, especially on scoring opportunities, could have been better."
* The Panthers host Amherst College on Wednesday (Jan. 30) for a Pink the Rink game at 6:00 p.m.
* Johnson & Wales heads home for a NEHC tilt with Salem State on Friday (Feb. 1) at 3:55 p.m.
– 30 –