Connor, Killisch each pot goals in loss
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Plymouth State University got another strong showing from freshman goaltender Becca Bridge (Gadsby, Alberta), but Suffolk University held off the Panthers, 3-2, in the New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) opener at Hanaway Rink on Friday night.
Plymouth State got the scoring started in the first period, but Suffolk rallied for two goals in the last 2:30 of the period and added a quick score in the second to take a 3-1 lead. The Panthers battled back to close to within a goal in the third, but were unable to net the equalizer down the stretch.
With the loss Plymouth State falls to 0-1-0 in NEHC play and 0-2-0 overall, while the Rams improve to 1-0-0 in league action and 1-2-0 overall.
Plymouth State 2, Suffolk 3
Plymouth State (0-2-0, 0-1-0 NEHC)
Suffolk (1-2-0, 1-0-0 NEHC)
How it Happened.
- Suffolk pressure early with some heavy zone time, but the Panthers held strong to prevent any solid scoring opportunities.
- Plymouth State struck first at 13:37 in the opening period when senior Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) worked along the far side and slid a pass to classmate Julie Nagel (Canton, Mass.), who flipped a wrister top shelf.
- Junior Maddy Burton (Aurora, Ill.) took advantage of a scrum in front of the PSU net to even the score at 17:21.
- Suffolk took the lead with just four seconds left in the opening stanza when sophomore Grace Scholz (Lake Bluff, Ill.) skated through the middle of the ice in transition and fired a shot past Bridge's blocker.
- The Rams padded their lead just 48 seconds in to the second period on the first career goal for freshman Cassidy Gruning (Tewksbury, Mass.), who got some space in transition and deked to her backhand for the goal.
- The Panthers clawed back to within one on the power play when sophomore Zoe Killisch (Vienna, Austria) battled through traffic in front of the net and tipped home a blast from the point by classmate Georgia McLellan (Kamloops, British Columbia) at the 6:56 mark of the third period.
Inside the Numbers:
- Bridge recorded 39 saves but took the loss to drop to 0-2-0. Suffolk junior Kristen Caporusso (Stouffville, Ontario) stopped 14 shots to improve to 1-0-0.
- The Rams held a 42-16 advantage in shots.
- PSU went 1-of-3 on the power play, while Suffolk failed to convert on any of its three opportunities.
- PSU travels to Southern Maine for another NEHC clash tomorrow (Nov. 9) at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –