Killisch scores for Panthers in Teddy Bear Toss game
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Zoe Killisch (Vienna, Austria) picked up her second goal of the season, but the University of Massachusetts Boston used a pair of third period goals to get past Plymouth State University, 4-1, in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Friday night.
Killisch's goal brought a hundreds of teddy bears to the ice as the Panthers played in their fourth annual Teddy Bear Toss game. All bears and donations collected will be donated to the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth (CHaD) for the benefit of families in need during the holiday season.
The visitors took a 2-0 lead in the opening frame, but Plymouth State controlled the middle stanza and Killisch finally broke through to cut the margin in half entering the third period. UMass Boston got a key power play goal 7:25 into the third and added a late empty-netter to secure the win.
Plymouth State falls to 2-4-0 and 2-3-0 in the NEHC, while the Beacons improve to 2-4-1 and 1-4-1 in league play.
Plymouth State 1, UMass Boston 4
Plymouth State (2-4-0, 2-3-0 NEHC)
UMass Boston (2-4-1, 1-4-0 NEHC)
How it Happened:
- The Beacons came out strong over the opening six minutes and junior Kelsey Ryan (Burlington, Mass.) scored on a low-angle shot off a rebound to give the visitors a 1-0 lead at the 6:08 mark.
- UMB made it 2-0 on sophomore Anna Kehoe's (Hingham, Mass.) one-timer midway through the period.
- After a slow start to the second period, a PSU timeout seemed to breathe new life into the Panthers' offense as Plymouth State held steady zone pressure throughout the final 15 minutes of the middle stanza.
- Killisch cut the deficit in half with 3:54 left to play in the second period as her centering feed from the right side deflected off a defenseman's skate and into the goal.
- Just nine seconds into a power play, UMass Boston restored the two-goal advantage when senior Bri Colucci (Lancaster, N.Y.) fired a slap shot through traffic with 12:35 left to play.
- The Beacons added an empty net goal in the final minute to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
- Sophomore Kassidy Lyons (Upper Blackville, New Brunswick) picked up her third assist of the season on Killisch's goal.
- Plymouth State held a 30-16 advantage in shots over the first two periods, but the Beacons outshot PSU, 16-10, in the final period.
- The Panthers were held scoreless in a pair of power play opportunities, while UMB finished 1-for-2.
- PSU had been 3-0-1 in head-to-head match-ups with the Beacons over the past two years.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Tonight was about a bigger cause," said head coach Mykul Haun. "I think sometimes it's a little tough to come out when you're emotionally charged on an event night like tonight, but I thought we came out well."
- The Panthers visit #5 Norwich for another league contest tomorrow (Nov. 23) at 1:00 p.m., while UMass Boston heads to Castleton for an NEHC clash at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –