Fagan records first career hat trick in win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Alexis Fagan (Burrillville, R.I.) notched her first career hat trick as Plymouth State University cruised past NCAA Division I Saint Michael's College, 8-3, in a non-conference women's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Tuesday night.
Fagan opened the scoring less than four minutes into the first period, added her second of the game for a 4-1 lead midway through the second, then capped off the milestone with an empty net tally with ten seconds remaining.
Plymouth State posted its most goals since December 2016 to improve to 3-5-0 on the year, while St. Michael's drops its seventh straight game to dip to 2-9-0.
Plymouth State 8, St. Michael's 3
Plymouth State (3-5-0)
St. Michael's (2-9-0)
How it Happened:
- Plymouth State got out to a quick start as Fagan collected a pass and skated through the Purple Knights' defense, firing a wrist shot from the right circle low to the blocker side just 3:38 into play.
- PSU doubled its lead at the 16:27 mark when freshman Addie Swanson (Anchorage, Alaska) corralled the rebound of a shot off the end boards and stuffed it inside the nearside post.
- The Panthers pushed the margin to 3-0 midway through the second period. Senior Sydney Linnick (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) skated into the slot before dropping the puck off for classmate Julie Nagel (Canton, Mass.), who fired it through traffic and in at the 9:19 mark.
- St. Michael's came right back just 19 seconds later when senior Alissa Sullivan (Hingham, Mass.) snuck a low-angle shot in from the left side to make it 3-1.
- PSU responded just under two minutes later, though, as sophomore Zoë Killisch (Vienna, Austria) played a puck off the boards to Fagan, who skated in alone before beating the SMC goaltender top-shelf.
- The Panthers extended the margin to 5-1 with 5:51 left in the period when senior Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) cleaned up the rebound off a shot from junior Marykate Thompson (Glastonbury, Conn.).
- St. Michael's took advantage of a power play opportunity early in the third period as senior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I.) ripped a shot from just inside the blue line to make it 5-2 with 17:37 left to play.
- Sophomore Hannah Bradshaw (Traverse City, Mich.) got into the action when she whipped a backhanded turnaround shot into the net at the 8:56 mark, but the Purple Knights answered right back as senior Jordan Monbouquette (Wayland, Mass.) found the back of the net following a PSU turnover in the defensive zone 1:41 later.
- Freshman Sophie Streed (Surry, N.H.) put home a rebound on the back post to make it 7-3 with 1:14 to play, and Fagan completed the hat trick with ten seconds left on the clock.
Inside the Numbers:
- Fagan added an assist to her first career hat trick to match a personal best with four points.
- Connor and Bradshaw each tallied a goal and an assist, while Killisch and senior Amanda McPhearson (Livonia, Mich.) also had multi-point games with a pair of assists each.
- Monbouquette led the Purple Knights with a goal and two assists, while junior Lizzie Blanchard (New Bedford, Mass.) tallied a pair of helpers.
- Freshman Becca Bridge (Gadsby, Alberta) improved to 3-5-0 between the pipes after making 23 saves.
- Senior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt.) fell to 2-8-0 for SMC, making 14 saves over the first 34:09 before giving way to sophomore Gabriella Dicomitis (Warwick, R.I.), who stopped 13.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"I love the way that we came out and pressed for all 60 minutes," said head coach Mykul Haun. "We wanted to play a high-tempo game and it was exciting to see Addie [Swanson] get her first goal as she has earned every opportunity she has had. Alexis [Fagan] always amazes me with her play and today was no different."
- Plymouth State gets back into New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) action following the Thanksgiving recess with a trip to Castleton on Friday (Dec. 6, 7:00 p.m.).
- St. Michael's is back on the ice for a weekend series at Colby starting at 3:00 p.m. on the same day.
– 30 –