Fagan, Nagel with a goal and assist each in NEHC setback
CASTLETON, Vt. – Seniors Alexis Fagan (Burrillville, R.I.) and Julie Nagel (Canton, Mass.) each tallied a goal and an assist, but Castleton University used a short-handed goal late in the third period to break a 3-3 tie and an empty-netter in the final minute gave the Spartans a 5-3 win over Plymouth State University in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey game at Spartan Arena on Friday night.
Castleton notched a power play goal in the first and pushed the lead to 2-0 midway through the second, before PSU got on the board with a power play score of its own late in the frame. The Spartans restored the two-goal advantage, but Fagan's seventh goal of the year made it a 3-2 game heading into the final period.
Freshman Georgia McLellan (Kamloops, British Columbia) evened the game with 8:54 remaining, but a defensive zone turnover led to a short-handed goal for the Spartans, and the hosts added an empty-netter in the final minute to secure the win.
Plymouth State drops to 3-6-0 on the year and 2-5-0 in the NEHC, while Castleton improves to 6-5-0 overall and 6-2-0 in league play.
Plymouth State 3, Castleton 5
Plymouth State (3-6-0, 2-5-0 NEHC)
Castleton (6-5-0, 6-2-0 NEHC)
How it Happened:
- Castleton got on the board first when junior Ali Stevens (Jefferson, Mass.) cashed in on a power play opportunity following the game's first penalty at the 14:06 mark of the first period.
- The hosts extended the lead to 2-0 midway through the second when freshman Darby Palisi (Concord, N.H.) got past the Plymouth State defense and made a move past the Panthers' goaltender at 11:12.
- PSU got the goal back as Nagel converted a feed from senior Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) on the power play with four minutes left in the frame.
- The Spartans restored the two-goal margin just 1:03 later on freshman Sara Molina Barrachina's (Madrid, Spain) first career goal.
- Fagan potted her team-leading seventh goal of the year in the final minute of the stanza to make it a 3-2 game heading to the final period.
- Plymouth applied steady zone pressure midway through the third and nearly had the equalizer as the puck got behind the Spartans' goalie, but it stopped just short of the goal line and a defender was able to clear it away.
- McLellan knotted the score at 3-3 at the 11:06 mark when her wrist shot beat the Castleton goalie to the stick side.
- Castleton took advantage of a turnover in the defensive end to go back in front, 4-3, on junior Courtney Gauthier's (Tampa, Fla.) short-handed tally with 4:24 remaining in regulation.
- PSU pulled its goalie 1:55 to play and the Panthers were able to keep the puck in the offensive zone, but Palisi cleared the zone off a face off and the puck went the length of the ice into the open goal with just 41 seconds remaining.
Inside the Numbers:
- Fagan has six points (four goals, two assists) over her last two games, while Nagel has scored in back-to-back games.
- Connor also had a second straight multi-point game after recording two assists. Her six helpers on the season are tied for the team lead.
- McLellan's goal was the first of her career.
- Freshman Becca Bridge (Gadsby, Alberta) finished with 21 saves, but dropped to 3-6-0, while her counterpart, senior Alexis Kalm (Aberdeen, N.C.) made 30 saves to move to 6-5-0.
- PSU went 1-of-5 on the power play, while the Spartans were successful on their lone opportunity.
- Plymouth State held a 33-26 edge in shots, but the Spartans blocked 13.
- PSU stays on the road to close out the fall semester at Wesleyan tomorrow (Dec. 7) at 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –