Panthers open NEHC Tournament on Saturday
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Williams College scored four straight goals to break a 1-1 tie as the Ephs topped Plymouth State University, 5-1, in a non-conference women's ice hockey game at Lansing Chapman Rink on Wednesday night.
Williams took the lead midway through the first period, but senior Alie Louie (Mount Laurel, N.J.) countered for the Panthers six minutes later to tie the game. The Ephs went right back in front 22 seconds later to hold a 2-1 lead at the first intermission, before scoring twice in the middle stanza and again in the third to cap the scoring.
Plymouth State drops to 7-16-2 and now turns its full attention to its New England Hockey Conference quarterfinal game at Castleton on Saturday (Feb. 22). Williams improves to 12-8-4.
Plymouth State 1, Williams 5
Plymouth State (7-16-2)
How it Happened:
- Williams got on the board first when junior Meghan Halloran (Darien, Conn.) converted a perfectly played give-and-go with freshman Maddie Tix (Wayzata, Minn.) at the 11:11 mark.
- The Panthers pulled even as freshman Chantelle Ross (Ottawa, Ontario) played the puck up the sideboards to Louie, who whipped a wrist shot from the left face-off circle to the top right corner with 2:48 left in the period.
- The Ephs came right back to regain the lead 26 seconds later as freshman Kelly McCarthy (Duxbury, Mass.) picked up a loose puck and snuck a low angle shot past the PSU goalie.
- Williams extended the lead to 3-1 two minutes into the second when senior Mia Carroll (New Canaan, Conn.) made a nice move to get around a defender before finding the top left corner.
- Carroll struck again seven minutes later to push the lead to 4-1 and Williams added a third period goal to cap the scoring.
Inside the Numbers:
- Louie's goal was her fourth of the year.
- Freshman Becca Bridge (Gadsby, Alberta) made 37 saves for the Panthers but dropped to 6-12-1, while sophomore Emma London (Wellesley, Mass.) stopped six shots to improve to 1-0-1.
- Plymouth State blocked 19 shots.
- Williams held a 42-7 advantage in shots.
- Plymouth State visits Castleton for an NEHC quarterfinal game on Saturday (Feb. 22). Puck-drop is set for 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –