Sullivan, Vonachen lead Panthers in setback
ONEONTA, N.Y. – SUNY Oneonta scored seven of the last eight goals of the game Tuesday afternoon to defeat Plymouth State University in its home opener, 15-6, in non-conference women's lacrosse action at Red Dragon Field.
Sophomore Kelsey Cohen (Baldwin, N.Y.) led the Oneonta attack with five goals and two assists, as the Red Dragons evened their record at 2-2.
Junior Sam Sullivan (Canton, Mass.) and senior Caroline Vonachen (Framingham, Mass.) combined for five goals and one assist for PSU, Sullivan with three goals and Vonachen with two goals and one assist. PSU drops to 0-2 on the season.
- Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2017
- Location: Oneonta, N.Y. (Red Dragon Field)
- Score: SUNY Oneonta 15, Plymouth State University 6
- Records: SUNY Oneonta (2-2); Plymouth State (0-2)
* Junior Taylor Casey (Garden City South, N.Y.) took a feed from Cohen to open the scoring 2:27 into the game. After a PSU goal by Sullivan, the Red Dragons ran off four straight to grab a 5-1 lead with 18 minutes left in the first half. Casey scored her second of the game before Cohen netted her first two goals. Freshman Kelly Clarke (East Meadow, N.Y.) capped the run with a free position goal at 18:10.
* Back-to-back goals by Kimmie Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.) and Sullivan brought Plymouth State back to 5-3 with just over five minutes to go in the half. Senior Katie Flannery (Massapequa, N.Y.) buried a free position shot with 40 seconds left to give Oneonta a 6-3 halftime advantage.
* Leading 8-5 10 minutes into the second half, Oneonta scored three unanswered to extend its lead to 11-5 on goals by Flannery, Casey and Danielle McIvor (Nanuet, N.Y.).
* Sullivan scored her third goal of the game and the final goal for PSU 18:39 into the second half before the Red Dragons closed the game scoring four straight for the final margin of victory. Junior Jaime Morris (West Nyack, N.Y.) and Cohen each scored two goals in the final run.
* Sophomore goalie Jaclyn Marry (Long Beach, N.Y.) came up big with 17 saves for Oneonta including 12 in the second half. Senior Meg Brault (South Windsor, Conn.) made 10 saves for the Panthers.
* Zuccaro picked up a team-high three ground balls for PSU, while junior Megan Tingley (Natick, Mass.) grabbed five draw controls and added two assists.
* Oneonta finished the game with a 32-24 shot advantage and a 13-10 advantage in draw controls.
* Plymouth State's next scheduled game is Friday, Mar. 31, in the home opener against Castleton University, weather and field conditions permitting. Oneonta will have a quick turnaround, as they host nationally ranked Hamilton College on Thursday at 4pm.
(Courtesy of SUNY Oneonta Sports Information)
-- 30 --