Panthers record first victory under coach Sandy Bridgeman
HOLDERNESS, N.H. – Juniors Sam Sullivan (Canton, Mass.) and Megan Tingley (Natick, Mass.) combined for seven goals and three assists Friday afternoon to lead the Plymouth State University women's lacrosse team to its first victory over the season, a 17-3 decision over Castleton University played in snowy conditions at the Holderness School Field.
Sullivan pumped in a game-high four goals, while Tingley was an offensive force with three goals, three assists and a game-high six draw controls. The Panthers had a strong team effort as nine different players scored, including two goals and an assist from junior Sophia Guerriero (Essex, Mass.) and sophomore Kimmie Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.) and two goals from senior Kaitlyn Wilder (Framingham, Mass.).
The win gives PSU its first victory of the season (1-2) and the first victory under new head coach Sandy Bridgeman. Castleton drops to 2-5.
- Date: Friday, March 31, 2017
- Location: Holderness, N.H. (Holderness School Field)
- Score: Plymouth State 17, Castleton 3
- Records: Plymouth State (1-2); Castleton (2-5)
* PSU scored the first four goals of the game, including two by Sullivan and one each from Zuccaro and Tingley. Castleton got on the scoreboard with 20 minutes remaining in the half on a goal by senior Grace Johnson (South Burlington, Vt.) to make it 4-1.
* The Panthers dominated the final 20 minutes of the half, holding Castleton off the board and pouring in seven unanswered goals by seven different players. PSU cruised to an 11-1 lead at halftime.
* After Sullivan opened the scoring for PSU in the first minute of the second half, Castleton made a little comeback with back to back goals. That ended up as the extent of the Spartan offense and PSU shut them down the rest of the way.
* Senior goalie Meg Brault (South Windsor, Conn.) made five saves in 48 minutes to earn the victory for the Panthers. Sophomore reserve Emilee Wargo (Madison, Conn.) came on and made three nice saves in the final 12 minutes.
* Sullivan led the team with five ground ball pick-ups, and Zuccaro made a presence with four draw controls, two ground balls, and a caused turnover.
* Plymouth State's game on Saturday, Apr. 1, against Rhode Island College has been postponed due to the winter storm arriving Friday evening; the game has been rescheduled for Sunday, Apr. 23 at 1:00 p.m.
*The Panthers return to action Wednesday, Apr. 5, at Bridgewater State University (7 p.m.)
* Castleton begins a stretch of four games in five days with a non-conference home game against Keene State Wednesday, April 5, at 4 p.m. at Spartan Stadium.
-- 30 --