Vonachen, Sullivan pace Panthers to fifth straight victory
HOLDERNESS, N.H. – Senior Caroline Vonachen (Framingham, Mass.) and junior Sam Sullivan (Canton, Mass.) tallied three goals and one assist each Saturday morning as Plymouth State University defeated Western Connecticut State University, 13-10, in a Little East Conference women's lacrosse game at the The Holderness School's Low Field.
The score was tied at 7-7, 8-8 and 9-9 in the second half before Plymouth State scored four goals in a row to take control of the game. Sullivan put PSU ahead for good, 10-9, with 20 minutes remaining, and Vonachen followed with a free-position goal two minutes later. Sophomore Sarah Thompson (Hoooksett, N.H.) made it 12-9 with a goal with 7:26 remaining, and Vonachen finished off the scoring for the winners with 4:21 to play with an assist from sophomore Kimmie Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.).
PSU won its fifth game in a row to improve to 5-2 overall (2-0 Little East) while Western Conn. slides to 5-7 (0-2 Little East).
- Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017
- Location: Holderness, N.H. (Holderness School - Low Field)
- Score: Plymouth State 13, Western Connecticut 10
- Records: Plymouth State (5-2, 4-3 LEC); Western Connecticut (5-7, 0-2 LEC)
* Zuccaro and junior Megan Tingley (Natick, Mass.) finished with two goals and an assist for PSU, and senior Kaitlyn Wilder (Framingham, Mass.) added two scores. Zuccaro also had a team-high four draw controls and five ground balls.
* Senior Destinee Carey (New Milford, Conn.) led the Colonials with a game-high six points on four goals and two assists. Freshman Geovanna Badaro (Fairfield, Conn.) added two goals, and junior Olivia Kosilla (Ellington, Conn.) chipped in with a goal, an assist and a game-high six draw controls.
* Plymouth State had an early advantage, with goals by Zuccaro, Wilder and Sullivan for a 3-0 lead. Panthers had a 6-3 margin after Sullivan's free position goal with 10 minutes to go in the half before Western scored the final four goals of the half, including three by Carey, to take a 7-6 lead into the break.
* Tingley and Vonachen opened the second-half scoring to give PSU the lead back, but Western freshman Brooke Baldelli (New Fairfield, Conn.) evened the score at 8-8. Wilder and senior Andrea Tarsi (Danbury, Conn.) traded goals to deadlock the score at 9-9 before PSU's four-goal surge proved to be the difference.
* Senior goalie Meg Brault (South Windsor, Conn.) recorded the victory for PSU with seven saves. Classmate Missy O'Donnell (Bridgeport, Conn.) was strong in the Western goal with 14 saves.
* Plymouth State returns to action Tuesday with a Little East match-up at the University of Southern Maine (4:00 p.m.) Western Conn. plays at LEC foes UMass Dartmouth Tuesday at 7 p.m.
-- 30 --