Sullivan, Zuccaro score career-high goals in conference road win
GORHAM, Maine – Junior Sam Sullivan (Canton, Mass.) scored a career-high seven goals Tuesday afternoon to lead Plymouth State University to a 15-5 victory over the University of Southern Maine in a Little East Conference women's lacrosse game at Hannaford Field.
Sophomore Kimmie Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.) also reached a career-high with four goals for PSU, along with recording three ground balls and two draw controls. The Panthers posted their sixth straight victory to move to 6-2 overall and a tie for first place in the Little East with a 3-0 mark.
The Huskies got three goals and an assist from senior Sam Campobasso (Buxton, Maine/Bonny Eagle) but dropped to 7-5 overall and 1-3 in the LEC.
- Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2017
- Location: Gorham, Maine (Hannaford Field)
- Score: Plymouth State 15, Southern Maine 5
- Records: Plymouth State (6-2, 3-0 LEC); Southern Maine (7-5, 1-3 LEC)
* Sullivan scored three goals in the first 15 minutes, helping PSU to a 4-1 lead at the midway point of the half. Zuccaro added a pair as the Panthers extended their lead to 7-1, but USM scored the last three goals of the stanza to cut the margin to three goals at the break.
* Plymouth State tallied the first five goals of the second half, including two each from Sullivan and Zuccaro, to push its lead to 12-4 with 23 minutes remaining. Campobasso notched USM's only goal of the second half a minute later, but Sullivan added two more goals for the Panthers to clinch the victory.
* Junior Megan Tingley (Natick, Mass.) had a strong all-around game for PSU, collecting two goals, three assists, two ground balls and six draw controls.
* Seniors Meg Lunetta (Plymouth, Mass.) and Becky Dale (Keene, N.H.) led a strong PSU defensive effort, holding the Huskies scoreless over the final 22 minutes and combining for nine ground balls and three caused turnovers.
* Senior netminder Meg Brault (South Windsor, Conn.) posted the victory for PSU (6-2), making nine saves, while Hala Van Nostrand (Granby, Conn.) had a busy day in the Husky goal, making 16 saves.
* PSU plays three of its final four regular season games on its home field, beginning Saturday with a non-conference match-up against Wheaton College (1 p.m.) and Sunday with an LEC meeting against Rhode Island College (1 p.m.) Southern Maine is home again on Saturday. Hosting Western Connecticut State University in a noon tilt.
-- 30 --