Sullivan, Daniels, Brault lead Panthers as win streak reaches seven
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Sam Sullivan (Canton, Mass.) and sophomore Veronyca Daniels (Concord, N.H.) combined for seven goals and senior goalie Meg Brault (South Windsor, Conn.) made a season-high 12 saves Saturday afternoon as Plymouth State University edged Wheaton College, 11-10, in a non-conference women's lacrosse game at Arold Field.
The score was tied 8-8 midway through the second half when senior Caroline Vonachen (Framingham, Mass.), sophomore Sarah Thompson (Hoooksett, N.H.) and Sullivan tallied consecutive goals in a six-minute span to restore a three-goal advantage for PSU with nine minutes remaining. Wheaton got two goals back around the five minute mark but PSU won the draw after Wheaton's last goal and did not relinquish possession in the last five minutes.
PSU won its seventh game in a row to improve to 7-2 overall while Wheaton slips to 8-8.
- Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017
- Location: Plymouth, N.H. (Arold Field)
- Score: Plymouth State 11, Wheaton 10
- Records: Plymouth State (7-2); Wheaton (8-8)
* Sullivan scored four goals and Daniels tallied a career-best three goals to lead the Panthers offense, which reached double digits for the seventh straight contest. Thompson chipped in with two goals, junior Megan Tingley (Natick, Mass.) contributed three assists, and sophomore Kimmie Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.) collected a game-high four draw controls.
* Junior Katie Peters (Medway, Mass.) led all scorers with five points for Wheaton on four goals and one assist. Senior Giovanna Bishop (Portland, Ore.) contributed two goals and an assist for the visitors.
* The scoring got off to a slow start in the first half, with Wheaton putting in two goals in the first 10 minutes and Daniels scoring twice for PSU in the next 10 minutes to knot the score at 2-2. The Panthers tallied four of the next six goals and went on to lead 6-5 at halftime.
* Daniels and Sullivan opened the second-half scoring for PSU in the first five minutes to get the lead up to three goals, but Wheaton answered with three straight goals by Peters, sophomore Kennelly Allerton (Unionville, Conn.) and Bishop to even the score at 8-8 with 17:45 on the clock.
* The Panthers took the lead for good on the goals by Vonachen, Thompson and Sullivan, and the Panther defense held the Lyons at bay, with only goals by Peters and freshman Molly Covarrubias (Framingham, Mass.) surrendered in the final nine minutes.
* Both teams return to conference play in their next outing, as PSU hosts Rhode Island College in a Little East Conference make-up game Sunday (Apr. 23) at 1 p.m. at Arold Field and Wheaton closes out its regular season with a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest Wednesday (Apr. 26) at Wellesley College (4:00 p.m.)
-- 30 --