Dubois tallies game-winner in final two minutes
DANBURY, Conn. – Junior Sydney Dubois (Goffstown, N.H.) scored three times, including the game-winning goal with 1:58 remaining in regulation, as Plymouth State University held off Western Connecticut State University, 8-7, in the Little East Conference (LEC) women's lacrosse opener for both teams Saturday morning at the WAC.
Senior Veronyca Daniels (Concord, N.H.) continued her strong start to the season with a second-straight five-point game after finding the back of the net four times and adding an assist. Plymouth State has won its last seven LEC regular season games, and 12 of its last 13.
WestConn got on the board first, but the Panthers closed the first half with a 3-0 run to take a 3-1 lead into the break. The Colonials used a 5-1 spurt to open the second half, grabbing a 6-4 lead, but Daniels scored three straight goals to put the Panthers back on top, 7-6, with just over seven minutes remaining. WestConn knotted the game with four minutes to play, but Dubois scored the game-winner on a free position shot with 1:58 left on the clock and PSU held the Colonials without a shot over the final two minutes to earn the win.
Plymouth State improves to 2-3 overall and 1-0 in the Little East, while WestConn drops to 6-2 and 0-1 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 8, WestConn 7
Plymouth State (2-3, 1-0 LEC)
WestConn (6-2, 0-1 LEC)
How it Happened:
* In a low-scoring first half the Colonials scored the game's first goal on a free position shot after 14 minutes of action.
* Senior Kimberly Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.) sparked a 3-0 run for the Panthers with an unassisted tally to tie the game two minutes later.
* PSU took its first lead when Daniels beat the WestConn goalie on a free position shot with 5:36 left in the half, and Daniels fed Dubois 90 seconds later as the Panthers' lead grew to 3-1.
* The offenses picked up in the second half, with the hosts scoring twice in the first seven minutes to even the game.
* Dubois notched her second of the game off an assist from sophomore Elizabeth McLaughlin (Melvin Village, N.H.) as Plymouth regained the lead, 4-3, with just under 20 minutes to play, but the Colonials scored the next three goals to pull in front, 6-4.
* PSU quickly mounted a comeback, as Daniels scored three times in the next six minutes to put the Panthers back in front, 7-6.
* WestConn evened the game with four minutes to play, but Dubois found the back of the cage two minutes later on a free position shot and Plymouth State was able to keep the Colonials off the scoreboard the rest of the way.
Inside the Numbers:
* Daniels recorded a second straight five-point game after tallying five goals in PSU's 16-0 win over Salem State on Mar. 19. She leads the team with 12 goals and 15 points.
* Dubois picked up her second hat trick and third multi-point game of the year, finishing with three goals.
* Daniels added a team-high three ground balls and added two caused turnovers.
* Zuccaro's goal was her sixth of the season.
* The Colonials owned an 11-6 advantage in draw controls, but the Panthers caused 16 WestConn turnovers.
* Sophomore Meaghan Allard (Amherst, N.H.) made three saves to improve to 2-3, while her counterpart, sophomore Jennifer Sawicki (Westbury, N.Y.), made nine saves but fell to 6-2.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"This was a hard fought game with great intensity from both teams," said head coach Sandy Bridgeman. "We had a number of players step up to make the win possible, but Rony [Daniels] and Syd [Dubois] carried the offense in the second half."
* The Panthers head to Bridgewater State for a non-conference game on Tuesday (Apr. 2) at 4:00 p.m.
* WestConn is also in action on Tuesday (Apr. 2) with a 7:00 p.m. road game at Coast Guard.
– 30 –