Fiore's four goals lead Panthers to third straight win
BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – Junior Sam Fiore (Merrimac, Mass.) matched a career-high with four goals, including three in the second half, to lead Plymouth State University to a 9-5 win over Bridgewater State University in non-conference women's lacrosse action at Swenson Field on Tuesday night.
Bridgewater State struck first just over six minutes into play, but the Panthers followed with three straight tallies to take a 3-1 advantage into halftime. PSU opened the second half with a 6-0 run to build a commanding 9-1 lead. The hosts used a 4-0 spurt to pull within 9-5 with four minutes to play but Plymouth State held the Bears scoreless the rest of the way to earn the win.
Plymouth State wins its third straight game to even its record at 3-3, while the Bears drop to 6-2 on the year.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 9, Bridgewater State 5
Plymouth State (3-3)
Bridgewater State (6-2)
How it Happened:
* Bridgewater took its only lead of the game with a free position goal 6:16 into the game.
* Senior Sarah Thompson (Hooksett, N.H.) evened the score with on a free position shot midway through the half and Fiore converted a feed from Thompson four minutes later to give PSU a lead it wouldn't relinquish.
* Senior Veronyca Daniels (Concord, N.H.) extended the lead to 3-1 with five minutes left in the half with her team-leading 13th goal of the year.
* Plymouth State put the game away with six-straight scores to open the second half. Daniels picked up her second of the night, then set up Fiore eight minutes later as Plymouth pushed the lead to 5-1.
* Senior Kimberly Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.) scored the first of three player-up goals for the Panthers. Fiore followed with her third of the night and senior Laura Harrington (Northborough, Mass.) picked up her second tally of the year.
* Fiore notched her fourth of the game with 9:35 left to make it 9-1.
* The Bears tried to rally, cutting the deficit to 9-5 with 3:54 remaining, but the Panthers' defense kept them off the scoreboard the rest of the way.
Inside the Numbers:
* Fiore matched a career-high with her four tallies, while Daniels and Thompson each recorded four points. Daniels scored twice and added a pair of helpers, while Thompson added a goal and three assists.
* Zuccaro has scored in each of the last four games and five-of-six to start the season.
* Sauls and Brown paced the Panthers with four caused turnovers, with freshman Devon Mello (Laconia, N.H.) forcing three.
* Sophomore Meaghan Allard (Amherst, N.H.) made five saves for the Panthers to improve to 3-3.
* PSU outshot the Bears a 28-20 margin and led the ground ball battle, 24-15.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Tonight was another well-played team effort," said head coach Sandy Bridgeman. "The defense gave a strong effort throughout and the offense came alive in the second half. Sam [Fiore] really came up big for us."
* PSU heads back into Little East Conference play on Saturday (Apr. 6) when the Panthers travel to Rhode Island College for a 1:00 p.m. game.
* The Bears host MASCAC rival Framingham State University Saturday (Apr. 6) at noon.
– 30 –