Daniels scores three times, Dubois solid all-around
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – Senior Veronyca Daniels (Concord, N.H.) scored three times and junior Sydney Dubois (Goffstown, N.H.) was all over the field but Plymouth State University was topped by #3 Middlebury College, 19-4, in non-conference women's lacrosse action at Kohn Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Middlebury, a national finalist last spring, scored 11 times in a 13-minute span to turn a 1-1 tie into a 12-1 advantage. Daniels picked up her second of the game to stop the run, but the hosts answered to take a 13-2 lead into halftime.
Middlebury pushed the lead to 16-2 before Dubois and Daniels notched back-to-back tallies. The hosts tacked on three scores over the final ten minutes to account for the final score.
Plymouth State drops a second straight game to a nationally-ranked opponent to dip to 4-5, while Middlebury wins its tenth straight to improve to 10-1.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 4, #3 Middlebury 19
Plymouth State (4-5)
#3 Middlebury (10-1)
How it Happened:
* Middlebury wasted little time as senior Emma McDonagh (Reading, Mass.) notched the first of her six goals just 1:27 into the game.
* Daniels took a feed from senior Kimberly Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.) and beat the Middlebury goalie a minute later to even the game, but the hosts responded with 11 straight to take control.
* Daniels picked up an unassisted tally with just under eight minutes left in the half to cut the margin to 12-2, but Middlebury got the goal back to hold a 13-2 advantage at the half.
* McDonagh started a 3-0 spurt for the hosts with her sixth goal early in the second half, but PSU answered.
* Zuccaro hooked up with Dubois with 18:50 left, and Daniels added a free position goal four minutes later to make it 16-4.
* Middlebury closed the game with three more goals to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
* Daniels finished with three goals on four shots and added two ground balls and two draw controls. She leads the team with 23 goals and 31 points on the year.
* Daniels has at least one point in every game this spring and has goals in eight of nine.
* Dubois picked up her 12th goal of the year and added team-highs of five caused turnovers and three draw controls while chipping in with four ground balls.
* With her two assists, Zuccaro has four multi-point games on the season.
* Senior Emilee Wargo (Madison, Conn.) finished with ten saves, the second highest total of her career, and added a game-high five ground balls.
* Senior Laura Harrington (Northborough, Mass.) added a pair of ground balls.
* Plymouth held a 17-15 advantage in ground balls.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"I'm really proud of my team today," said head coach Sandy Bridgeman. "They played with great effort and intensity."
* Plymouth State closes out the regular season with five straight Little East Conference contests starting with the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Saturday (Apr. 13) at the New Hampton School (11:30 a.m.).
* Middlebury returns to NESCAC play on Saturday (Apr. 13) with a trip to Trinity College for an 11:00 a.m. game.
– 30 –