Perreault leads Panthers with individual title at 184 pounds
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Senior Chris Perreault (Saint Johnsbury, Vt.) captured the championship in the 184-pound weight class Saturday to lead the Plymouth State University wrestling team to an eighth place finish at the annual Doug Parker Invitational, hosted by Springfield College.
PSU finished in 73.5 points and their eighth place finish an improvement of three spots over last year. Springfield won the team title among the 16 schools with 195.5 points, with Coast Guard second with 159.5 and Centenary College third with 128.5.
The Panthers had three other wrestlers who were place-winners in the weight class – sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) and Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) and junior Cody Carrillo (Middletown, Conn.) This was the opening event of this year's PSU wrestling season.
NCAA Division III Wrestling
Doug Parker Invitational, Springfield College, Springfield, Mass.
Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016
Springfield 196.5, Coast Guard 159.5, Centenary 128.5, Southern Maine 106.5, Wesleyan 94, Williams 88.5, Western New England 83.5, Plymouth State 73.5, East Stroudsburg 63, Rhode Island College 54, Bridgewater State 51, STCC 46, Trinity 35.5, American International 20, MIT 15.5, New England College 9.
* Perrault won all five matches to earn the championship at 184 pounds, including a 9-4 win over Western New England's John Boyle. Perreault is a four-year veteran who has a 76-28 career record, and returns after missing last season with an injury.
* Aumann captured third place in the 125-pound weight class. He posted a 4-1 record in the tournament, including a 6-2 decision over Tristan Stetson of Wesleyan in the third-place match. Aumann was a New England All-Rookie Team selection last year and now has a career record of 24-13.
* Froio and Carrillo both finished sixth in their weight classes, Froio at 174 pounds and Carrillo at 197. Froio posted a 3-2 record but had to forfeit the fifth-place match, and Carrillo won his first two matches but was a medical forfeit the rest of the day.
* Freshman Jonny Perreault (Saint Johnsbury, Vt.) made a successful collegiate debut, winning two of his four matches at 149 pounds.
* Saturday, Dec. 3, at the annual Ted Reese Invitational, hosted by Southern Maine, 10:00 a.m.
-- 30 --