Aumann and Froio lead Panthers with third place finishes
GORHAM, Maine – Sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) and classmate Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) both wrestled to third place finishes in their respective weight classes Saturday to lead the Plymouth State University wrestling team to sixth place finish at the Ted Reese Invitational, hosted by the University of Southern Maine.
Plymouth State finished the day with 60.5 points. Castleton University took home the team title among the 13 schools, posting 143.0 points. Southern Maine (138.5), Apprentice School (107.0), Johnson & Wales (85.0) and Springfield Technical Community College (71.0) rounded out the top five.
NCAA Division III Wrestling
Ted Reese Invitational, University of Southern Maine, Gorham, Maine
Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016
Castleton 143.0, Southern Maine 138.5, Apprentice School 107.0, Johnson & Wales 85.0, Springfield Technical CC 71.0, Plymouth State 60.5, Trinity College (Conn.) 45.0, University of Maine 31.5, American International College 30.0, Massachusetts Institute of Technology 25.5, New England College 21.5, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 13.5, Husson University 5.5.
* Aumann won four of his five matches to take third place at 133 pounds, including a 13-4 major decision over Castleton's Nick Camacho. Aumann improves his career record to 28-14.
* Froio also won four-of-five matches to finish third, though he competed at 174 pounds. Froio bested teammate Montgomery by a 3-2 decision in the third place match.
* Montgomery went 2-1 on the day, besting the Apprentice School's Chris Kennedy by a 7-4 decision, before falling to Froio.
* Perreault won four of six matches to secure a fourth place finish at 149 pounds. He advanced to the third place match, but was defeated by Grant Sorensen of Trinity.
* Five other Panthers won two matches, including freshman Ricky Diaz (Toms River, N.J.) at 133 pounds, freshman Eddie Bello (West Hartford, Conn.) at 141 pounds, junior Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.) at 157 pounds, and junior Mike Garcia (Manchester, N.H.) and freshman Kolin Roberts (Somers Point, N.J.), who both wrestled at 285 pounds.
* Plymouth State travels to Norwich University for a dual meet on Wednesday, Dec. 7 (6:00 p.m.), before wrapping up the fall semester with a home tri-meet on Saturday, Dec. 10 (11:00 a.m.).
-- 30 --