Perreault records Panthers lone win at 149 pounds
NORTHFIELD, Vt. – Norwich University won nine of ten bouts over the Plymouth State University wrestling team to record a 33-6 win in a dual match at Andrews Hall on Wednesday night. Freshman Jonny Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) registered a win by fall at 149 pounds to account for all six PSU points.
The Panthers will wrestle at home for the first time this season when they host a tri-meet on Saturday.
Andrews Hall, Northfield, Vt. – Wed., Dec. 7, 2016
Plymouth State 6, Norwich 33
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Norwich jumped out to a 9-0 lead after winning bouts at 125, 133 and 141 pounds. Sophomore Adam Correia (Hopkinton, Mass.) was nipped in a 4-3 decision at 125 pounds, while classmate Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) fell in a 3-0 decision at 133 pounds. Freshman Eddie Bello (West Hartford, Conn.) came up just short in a 5-3 sudden victory loss at 141 pounds.
* PSU got on the board when Perreault won by fall at 149 pounds. With the win the rookie improved to 7-4 on the season.
* Norwich answered with 24 straight points, sweeping the remaining bouts.
* Senior Benjamin Swanson needed overtime to register a 12-6 sudden victory over Panther junior Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.) at 157 pounds.
* At 174 pounds, sophomore Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) was edged by junior Zachary Gibson (Lithopolis, Ohio) 3-2 in a double overtime tiebreaker.
* The Panthers also won a pair of exhibition bouts. Freshman Ricky Diaz (Toms River, N.J.) won by decision, 7-3, at 125 pounds, while junior Michael Allen (Peterborough, N.H.) won by injury over sophomore Zach Morris (South Glens Falls, N.Y.).
* The Panthers host a tri-meet at ALLWell North on Saturday. PSU will face Rhode Island College and the University of Southern Maine starting at 11:00 a.m.
-- 30 --