Froio and Carrillo win twice each for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University wrestling team suffered a pair of defeats Saturday afternoon in a tri-meet at the Davis Track, falling to Rhode Island College, 21-20, and the University of Southern Maine, 35-8. USM also defeated RIC in the middle match of the day, 27-7.
With the two wins, Southern Maine, which is ranked seventh in New England, improves to 5-1 on the season, while RIC is now 2-1 and PSU drops to 0-3.
NCAA Division III Wrestling, Plymouth, N.H. (Davis Track)
Dec. 10, 2016
Rhode Island College 21, Plymouth State 20
Southern Maine 27, Rhode Island College 7
Southern Maine 35, Plymouth State 8
Records: Plymouth State (0-3); Southern Maine (5-1); Rhode Island College (2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
* PSU and RIC each won five bouts in the first match of the day. The outcome was decided in the final bout as RIC senior John Georges (Cranston, R.I.) pinned senior Alex Cesare (Bohemia, N.Y.) in the final round of the 285-pound weight class.
* Winners for PSU included sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) at 133 pounds, freshman Eddie Bello (West Hartford, Conn.) at 141, freshman Jonny Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) at 149, Froio at 174, and Carrillo at 197.
* RIC winners against the Panthers were sophomore Daniel Murray (Bay Shore, N.Y.) at 125, sophomore Zach Ford (Flagler Beach, Fla.) at 157, freshman Sam Lindblom (Waterford, Conn.) at 165, junior Mike Gallagher (Narragansett, R.I.) at 184, and Georges at 285.
* PSU managed just two wins against Southern Maine – Froio at 174 and Carrillo at 197.
* The Panthers will be idle for three weeks for final exams and the holiday break. PSU returns to the mat on Saturday, Jan. 7, at the Roger Williams Invitational in Bristol, R.I.
-- 30 –-