Aumann wins at 125, Perreault (184) and Carrillo (197) take second
BRISTOL, R.I. – Sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) won all three of his bouts Saturday to earn the title at the 125-pound weight class, leading the Plymouth State University wrestling team to a sixth place finish at the Scott Viera Invitational at Roger Williams University.
Senior Chris Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) and junior Cody Carrillo (Middletown, Conn.) both earned second place finishes as the Panthers closed the tournament with 71.5 points, finishing 5.5 points ahead of nationally-ranked Johnson & Wales. JWU is #6 in the nation according to the latest National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) poll.
Host Roger Williams (#5 in the nation) took the team title with 177.5 points. WPI placed second with 140.5 points, with Wesleyan (92.0), Roger Williams Blue (74.5) and the University of Southern Maine (73.5) rounding out the top five. Ten teams made up the field.
NCAA Division III Wrestling
Scott Viera Invitational, Roger Williams University, Bristol, R.I.
Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017
Roger Williams (Gold) 177.5, WPI 140.5, Wesleyan 92.0, Roger Williams (Blue) 74.5, Southern Maine 73.5, Plymouth State 71.5, Johnson & Wales 66.0, Trinity (Conn.) 61.5, Bridgewater State 25.0, American International 19.0.
* Aumann won opened with a 13-1 major decision victory. He followed with decisions over a pair of Wesleyan wrestlers, first besting Zack Murillo 3-2, then defeating Amir Daouk 4-2 for the title.
* Perreault won three of his four bouts to take second at 184-pounds. He opened with back-to-back pins, before posting a 9-6 decision to earn an appearance in the title bout, but was pinned by Roger Williams' Joe Albina.
* Carrillo won two-of-three bouts to earn his second place finish at 197-pounds. He topped WPI's Michael Curtis by a 3-0 decision, before handling Christopher Francis from RWU in an 11-5 decision in the semifinal. In the final Carrillo fell by a 13-6 decision to Wesleyan's Devon Carrillo .
* Freshman Tom Pagliarulo (Haverhill, Mass.) and junior Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) both won three of five bouts at their respective weight classes. Pagliarulo wrestled at 141-pounds, with Froio earning two pins at 174-pounds.
* A trio of Panthers also won two of their bouts on the day; freshman Jonny Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) at 149-pounds , junior Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.) at 157-pounds and classmate Justin Montgomery (Natick, Mass.) at 174-pounds.
* Plymouth State is back at home next Saturday (Jan. 14) when the Panthers host the annual Jim Aguiar Invitational at ALLWell North starting at 10:00 a.m.
-- 30 --