Aumann, Carrillo, Froio also place-winners for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Chris Perreault (Saint Johnsbury, Vt.) won the 184-pound weight class with a 4-0 record Saturday afternoon, leading Plymouth State University to fourth place among 10 schools at the Second Annual Jim Aguiar Invitational Wrestling Tournament at the ALLWell North Building.
Three other Panthers were place-winners in their weight class -- sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) at 125 pounds, junior Cody Carrillo (Middletown, Conn.) at 197, and sophomore Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) 174.
The University of Southern Maine won the team title with 134 points, edging New York University with 133.5 points. Castleton University was third with 111.5, and PSU was fourth with 85.
NCAA Division III Wrestling, Plymouth, N.H. (ALLWEll North Building)
Second Annual Jim Aguiar Invitational
Jan. 14, 2017
Final Team Scores:
Univ. of Southern Maine 134, New York Univ. 133.5, Castleton Univ. 111.5, Plymouth State 85, Springfield Tech 46.5, UMaine Orono 33.5, New England College 30, MIT 26.5, AIC 26, Bridgewater State 22.5
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Perreault won four straight bouts to claim the title at 184. He won his first two by fall, took the semifinal match 2-1 in overtime, and finished off a 5-1 decision in the final. Perreault has a 12-1 record this season, and an 83-29 career mark.
* Aumann and Carrillo each finished runner-up in their weight class, dropping a decision in the final. Aumann fell to Peter Del Gallo of Southern Maine in the title bout; 7-4; Del Gallo is ranked second in New England at 125. Carrillo, who is ranked #6 in New England at 197, won two straight bouts before a 12-6 setback in the final. Aumann is now 14-5 on the season and 34-17 in his career, while Carrillo is 8-2 this winter and 22-8 in his career.
* Froio placed third at 174 pounds, his third place-winning performance of the season. Froio was upended by Maykel Dolorit of NYU in his first bout but came back to capture three straight encounters to claim third place, including a pin of Dolorit in the third-place match. Froio has a 15-7 record this season, and a career mark of 33-15.
* Three other Panther wrestlers posted 2-2 records in the tournament but did not place --freshman Jonny Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) at 149, junior Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.) at 157, and sophomore Trevor Wassell (Walpole, Mass.) at 184.
* All of the teams in New England will converge on Johnson & Wales University in Providence, R.I. next Saturday, Jan. 21, for the New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) Headlock for Hunger Dual Meet Championships, beginning at 9:00 a.m.
-- 30 --