Aumann and Pagliarulo lead Panthers with three wins each
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Plymouth State University wrestling squad finished in 12th place out of 16 teams at the New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) "Headlock for Hunger" Dual Meet Championships, hosted by Johnson & Wales University at the Wildcat Center.
The Panthers, who entered the tournament as the 13th seed, dropped their opening round match to fourth-seeded Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 38-3, before knocking off #12-seeded Western New England University by a 22-19 score. PSU then fell to ninth-seeded Norwich University, 33-18, before closing out the day with a 35-6 loss against #11-seeded Rhode Island College.
Top-seeded Johnson & Wales defeated second-seeded Roger Williams, 28-14, in the championship match.
Sophomore Joe Aumann (Hoptacong, N.J.) and freshman Tom Pagliarulo (Haverhill, Mass.) led the Panthers with three wins each. Aumann, PSU's selection to the All-Tournament Team, won all three of his bouts at 125-pounds, with Pagliarulo finishing the day with a 3-1 mark at 141-pounds.
NCAA Division III Wrestling
NEWA "Headlock for Hunger" Dual Meet Championships, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, R.I.
Sunday, Jan. 22, 2017
Johnson & Wales, Roger Williams, Coast Guard, WPI, Southern Maine, Wesleyan, Springfield, Williams, Castleton, Norwich, Rhode Island, Plymouth State, Trinity, Western New England, Bridgewater State, New England College
* Aumann finished the day a perfect 3-0 to improve to 17-5 on the season – tied for the team lead in wins. He opened the day with a 13-0 major decision over Western New England's Michael Garone. In his next match, Aumann took care of Cole Nickerson of Norwich by a 15-0 technical fall, and he wrapped up the day with a 9-8 decision against Rhode Island College's Daniel Murray.
* Pagliarulo opened the day with three straight wins, before losing in his final match. The freshman started with a 6-3 decision against Ben Zogby of WPI, then bested Alex Starr of Western New England by an 8-3 decision before pinning Norwich's Zach Morris.
* Sophomore Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) won his two bouts at 174-pounds to keep pace with Aumann for the team lead in wins. He opened with a 7-0 decision against Chase LaRusso of Western New England, before recording a 3-2 decision against Norwich's Zach Gibson to improve to 17-7 on the year.
* Freshman Jonny Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) and junior Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.) both went 2-2 on the day. Perreault won two bouts by decision at 149-pounds, besting Western New England's Austin Roche 5-2 and RIC's Michael Scaravilli 4-0.
* Simeti, wrestling at 157-pounds, earned a 9-7 sudden victory against Lamont Wallace of Western New England and a 15-5 major decision over Brandon DesFosses of Norwich.
* The Panthers will be back on the mat next Sunday, Jan. 29, when they travel back to Providence, R.I. for the Johnson & Wales Open (9:30 a.m.).
-- 30 --