Perreault wins at 184 to lead Panthers
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Plymouth State University wrestling squad had 12 wrestlers compete at the USC Wildcat Open hosted by Johnson & Wales on Sunday against some of the top wrestlers in New England. At the end of the day, three PSU wrestlers finished in the top six of their respective brackets.
Chris Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) was the Panthers' top finisher, as the senior won all four of his bouts to take the title at 184-pounds. Sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) won three matches to earn a third place finish at 125-pounds, while freshman Tom Pagliarulo (Haverhill, Mass.) finished the day with a 5-3 mark to earn a sixth place finish at 141-pounds.
NCAA Division III Wrestling
USC Wildcat Open, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, R.I.
Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017
* Perreault opened his day with a 16-1 technical fall win over Devon DeFilippi of Trinity College, before posting back-to-back decisions to earn a place in the championship bout. Perreault took the title after defeating Mark DeCiccio by pin. With the four wins Perreault ups his season record to 17-4, and he now holds an 88-32 career mark.
* Aumann went 3-1 on the day to improve his team-best season record to 20-6. Aumann bested Anthony Donofrio of Johnson & Wales by a 12-3 major decision in his first match, before falling by a narrow 5-3 decision to NYU's Anthony Calvano. From there Aumann won two straight bouts to take third place.
* Pagliarulo opened with a loss to eventual champion Joe Calderone, but bounced back with five straight wins. He pinned Watna Cunha of Johnson & Wales before earning decisions over Michael Foca of the College of Mount Saint Vincent, and LIU's Joe Paterno. After a win by forfeit Pagliarulo bested Andrew Saccone of Trinity by a 10-2 major decision before falling in consecutive matches to close the day.
* Junior Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.) and classmate Justin Montgomery (Natick, Mass.) both won three matches on the day. Simeti finished 3-2 at 157-pounds, with Montgomery posting the same mark at 174-pounds.
* Plymouth State will travel to Springfield College to compete in a quad meet on Saturday (Feb. 4). The Panthers will open with host Springfield (12:00 p.m.) before grappling with Castleton University (2:00 p.m.) and Johnson & Wales (4:00 p.m.).
-- 30 --