Perreault wins twice at 184-pounds for Panthers
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Plymouth State University wrestling squad went 0-3 while facing three of the region's top programs Saturday at the Springfield College Quad. Senior Chris Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) won two of his three bouts with both victories coming by pin.
The Panthers opened the day with a 36-13 loss to the host Pride, ranked #7 in the most recent New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) Division III poll. PSU was then blanked 53-0 by Johnson & Wales – the top program in New England and #3 in the nation – before falling to Castleton University, #9 in the NEWA DIII poll, by a 31-16 margin.
NCAA Division III Wrestling
Springfield Quad, Springfield College, Springfield, Mass.
Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017
* Perreault was PSU's best performer on the day posting a pair of wins by pin. The senior took down Steve Burgos of Springfield in his opening match, before sticking Mitch LaFlam of Castleton in his final bout.
* Perrault's 2-1 mark for the day improves his season record to 19-5, while pushing his career total to 90-33.
* Sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) and freshman Tom Pagliarulo (Haverhill, Mass.) also took wins against Springfield. Aumann topped Tyler Fitzpatrick by a 4-0 major decision at 125-pounds while Pagliarulo defeated Victor Guzman by a 6-1 decision at 141-pounds.
* #3 Johnson & Wales showed their dominance on the mat by recording pins in six of the ten bouts. Aumann was narrowly defeated by Stephen Nadera at 125-pounds in a 5-4 decision and junior Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.) suffered a similar fate, falling in a 9-7 decision at 157-pounds
* Simeti rebounded with a 9-5 decision at 157-pounds over James Kilgo of Castleton, while sophomore Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) earned a sudden victory win over Nolan Viens. Aumann earned a win at 133 pounds, and Perreault added his second pin of the day against Mitch LaFlam.
* Plymouth State has one final tune-up before heading to the NCAA Northeast Regionals at the end of the month. The Panthers travel to Western New England for a dual meet on Thursday (7:00 p.m.).
-- 30 --