Pagliarullo and Perreault lead Panthers in setback
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Senior Brian Donovan (Manchester, Conn.) registered a match-sealing victory as the Western New England University wrestling team posted a 31-15 win over Plymouth State University on Senior Night Thursday evening at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
PSU was awarded victories in three of the 10 bouts, but Western New England was too strong in the middle weight classes and avenged a 22-19 setback to the Panthers earlier this season.
NCAA Division III Wrestling Dual, Springfield, Mass.
Feb. 16, 2017
Western New England 31, Plymouth State 15
Records: Plymouth State (1-10); Western New England (8-12)
HOW IT HAPPENED
* PSU registered victories on the mat in the 141 and 184 pound weight classes. Freshman Tom Pagliarulo (Haverhill, Mass.) captured the 141 pound bout by a 10-7 score, and senior Chris Perreault (Saint Johnsbury, Vt.) pinned his opponent in the first minute if the 184 pound match.
* Pagliarulo improved his season record to 16-10, which ranks fourth on the team in victories, while Perreault is now 20-5 this season, second on the team in wins, and 91-33 in his career.
* Sophomore Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) also won by forfeit at 125 pounds. He upped his season record to 23-7, tops on the team in wins, and moved his career record to 43-19.
* Donovan, Western New England's lone senior this season, came through with an 11-0 major decision at 197 pounds to give the Golden Bears a 25-15 lead heading into the final bout of the night.
* Freshman Austin Roche (Southborough, Mass.) and junior Dom Liquori (Springfield, Mass.) both recorded pins for WNE at 157 and 285, respectively.
Western New England will be back in action on Sunday at the New England Wrestling Association Futures Tournament, hosted by Johnson & Wales University. Both teams will compete at the NCAA Regional Championships on Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 25-26, at Roger Williams University.
-- 30 --