Aumann topples region's best to take third place at 125 pounds
BRISTOL, R.I. – Plymouth State University sophomore wrestler Joe Aumann (Hopatcong, N.J.) won three straight consolation round bouts during day two of the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships hosted by Roger Williams University to finish in third place in the 125-pound weight class, earning him a spot at the NCAA Division III Championships held in La Crosse, Wisconsin from March 10-11.
Aumann, led by fourth-year head coach Ryan Schieding, faced a tall task Sunday needing to win three consecutive bouts against some of the region's top competition to earn a spot at the National Championship tournament in two weeks. After a 6-4 decision over Andrew Roden of SUNY Cortland the sophomore squared off against two of the top four wrestlers in the region according to the latest New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) individual rankings.
Aumann bested fourth-ranked Tyreek Staton of Castleton University by a 7-4 decision before going up against second-ranked Peter Del Gallo of Southern Maine for the second time in as many days. Aumann, who was knocked into the consolation round by Del Gallo after a 5-1 decision yesterday, got his revenge with a 5-4 decision to secure the third-place finish and NCAA Championship appearance. The loss was just the third of the season for Del Gallo.
Also wrestling for the Panthers on Sunday was Nick Simeti (Pearl River, N.Y.). The junior, competing at 157 pounds, had won three straight consolation bouts by pin yesterday but was ousted in his first match of day two after an 8-1 decision against CJ Luth of Southern Maine. Luth entered the tournament as the fourth-ranked wrestler at 157 pounds in the latest NEWA ranking.
Plymouth State finished with 28.5 team points to place 14th place out of 19 teams. The top four teams all occupy spots on the most recent National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) national team rankings. Third-ranked Johnson & Wales University captured the team title with 171.5 points, with #4 Ithaca College (139.5 points), #15 SUNY Cortland (111.5 points) and #7 Roger Williams University (95.0 points) rounding out the top four.
NCAA Division III Wrestling
NCAA Northeast Regional, Roger Williams University, Bristol, R.I. – Day Two
Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017
TEAM STANDINGS – Final
#3 Johnson & Wales (171.5), #4 Ithaca (139.5), #15 SUNY Cortland (111.5), #7 Roger Williams (95.0), SUNY Oneonta (72.5), Springfield (68.5), #14 Coast Guard (59.5), Wesleyan (59.5), Worcester Polytechnic (52.5), Southern Maine (51.5), Williams (49.5), Rhode Island (35.5), Castleton (33.0), Plymouth State (28.5), Norwich (24.5), Trinity (13.0), Bridgewater State (7.5), New England Coll. (5.0), Western New England (0.5).
* Aumann, who leads the team with a 28-8 record, will be the first Panther wrestler to compete at the NCAA Championships since Mike Willey finished in eighth place at 149 pounds during the 2011-12 season.
* Sophomore Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) went 2-2 at 165 pounds on Saturday. Froio lost a tight bout with Jared Costa of Castleton by a 3-2 decision before posting back-to-back wins over David Goodall of Western New England (3-0 decision) and Nolan Cornu of Trinity in a 2-1 tiebreaker, before being eliminated by Evan Wallace of SUNY Oneonta in a 4-3 decision.
* Senior Chris Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.), junior Trevor Wassell (Walpole, Mass.) and freshman Eddie Bello (West Hartford, Conn.) all won once on Saturday. Perreault improved his season mark to 21-5 after an 8-6 decision over Norwich's Joseph Hennessey at 184 pounds, but followed with consecutive losses. He ends his career with a 92-35 career record.
* Wassell, wrestling at 197 pounds, opened the tournament with a technical fall defeat to Carlos Toribio of Ithaca, currently ranked #4 in the country. After posting a 13-9 decision over Javante Johnson of RIC, Wassell was eliminated by Cortland's Nick Bellanza.
* Bello started well with a 9-4 decision over Tyler Gazaway of Roger Williams in the 149 pound bracket, but lost his next two bouts.
* Also wrestling for the Panthers were sophomore Adam Correia (Hopkinton, Mass.) at 133 pounds, freshman Tom Pagliarulo (Haverhill, Mass.) at 141 pounds, junior Justin Montgomery (Natick, Mass.) at 174 pounds and senior Alex Cesare (Bohemia, N.Y.) at 285 pounds.
* Aumann will represent Plymouth State at the 2017 NCAA Division III Championships from March 10-11 in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
-- 30 --