Perreault, Froio represent Panthers on NWCA All-American Scholar Team
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Two members of the Plymouth State University wrestling team earned a national academic honor from the NCAA Division III Wrestling Coaches Association.
Senior Chris Perreault (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) and sophomore Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) were named to the NCAA Division III Scholar All-America Team for 2016-17. Perreault is a Physical Education major at PSU who wrestles in the 184-pound weight class, and Froio is a Marketing major at PSU who wrestles in the 165-pound weight class.
Perreault finished the season with a 21-7 record, ranking second on the team in victories. He won individual titles at three different tournaments, the Doug Parker Invitational at Springfield, the Jim Aguiar Invitational at PSU, and the Johnson and Wales Open. Perreault finished an outstanding career with a record of 92-35.
Froio posted a 20-10 record for the Panthers this season, ranking third on the team in victories. He was a place-winner in three tournaments, taking sixth at the Doug Parker Invitational at Springfield and third at both the Ted Reese Invitational at Southern Maine and the Jim Aguiar Invitational at PSU.
Froio upped his career record to 38-18.
In order to become an NWCA Scholar All-American, the following criteria must be met:
- The wrestler must have a GPA of 3.2 or greater for the previous academic year or have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or greater. Freshmen are eligible, and their GPA from the fall of 2016 must be above 3.2.
- The wrestler must have been at the current school for the entire 2016-2017 school year
- The wrestlers must meet at least one of the following wrestling criteria
- NCAA Qualifier with a winning record
- Finish in the top six at the NCAA regional while competing in at least half of the team's scheduled competitions and compiling a winning record
- Win at least 67% of his matches while competing in at least 50% of his team's scheduled competitions
-- 30 --