da Silva, Jarvis place for Panthers
GORHAM, Maine – Sophomore Dylan da Silva (Bayville, N.J.) won three bouts, including two by fall, to place fourth in at 184 pounds, while freshman Will Jarvis (Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.) won two bouts to take fifth at 125 pounds the Plymouth State University wrestling team finished eighth at the Ted Reese Invitational hosted by the University of Southern Maine on Saturday.
da Silva captured his second straight fourth-place finish, while Jarvis earned his first career wins while placing for the first time.
Plymouth State tallied 31.5 points to finish eighth among the 15 teams. The US Coast Guard Academy took the team title with 174.5 points.
Ted Reese Invitational – 8th of 15 Teams
How it Happened:
* Wrestling at 184-pounds, da Silva pinned Southern Maine's Noah Regalado in his opening bout in 2:16, then followed with a 7-3 decision over Jeremy Berson of Coast Guard.
* After suffering a 5-1 defeat to NYU's Jackson Kligerman, da Silva responded with a pin of Alexander Green of Castleton in 1:15 to advance to the third place bout, where he fell by a 16-11 decision to George Andrews of the University of Connecticut.
* Jarvis got off to a slow start, suffering a loss by fall in his opening bout, but the rookie rebounded with back-to-back wins in the consolation bracket, starting with a 7-3 decision over Kyle Kaluhiokalani of Castleton.
* Jarvis followed with a pin of Ahmed Hernandez of AIC in 1:54 to move into the consolation semifinals at 125-pounds. After falling to Keith Skaggs of MIT he rebounded to claim fifth place with a 14-6 major decision over Antoine Grace of Southern Maine.
Inside the Numbers:
* Freshman Cam McClure (Hudson, N.H.) picked up his first career win in style, pinning Anthony Tripodi of UConn in 3:55 at 149 pounds.
* Classmate Kyllian Twiss (Peabody, Mass.) also won by fall for his first collegiate victory, pinning Alexander Marc-Aurele of Maine Maritime in 1:46.
* Seniors Colby Ferretti (Glocester, R.I.) and Kevin Thomas (Stamford, Conn.), junior Steve Abusheery (North Attleboro, Mass.), sophomore Derek Sardella (Billerica, Mass.) and freshmen Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) and Warren Young (Lafayette Hill, Pa.) also competed for the Panthers.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Everyone wrestled tough today," said head coach Eric Bergeron. "We are constantly working to improve and are closing the gap on other teams. I love to see guys like Will [Jarvis] and Dylan [da Silva] get rewarded for the hard work they put in every day."
* Plymouth State visits Norwich for a dual meet on Wednesday (Dec. 5) starting at 6:00 p.m.
– 30 –