Jarvis, McClure, Froio secure wins for Panthers
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Freshmen Will Jarvis (Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.) and Cam McClure (Hudson, N.H.) and senior Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) each posted wins, but the Plymouth State University wrestling team lost a pair of dual meets to the University of Southern Maine and Rhode Island College at the RIC Recreation Center on Saturday afternoon.
PSU squared off against USM in the day's second contest – USM toppled RIC in the opener – where the Panthers fell by a 39-9 score. Plymouth State wrapped up the day by dropping a 48-2 decision to the host Anchormen.
The Panthers, bitten by the injury bug, were forced to forfeit six bouts between the two contests.
Plymouth State falls to 0-4 in dual meets, while RIC moves to 1-3 and USM ends the day 3-0.
Plymouth State 9, Southern Maine 39
Plymouth State 2, Rhode Island College 48
Plymouth State 0-4
Southern Maine 3-0
Rhode Island College 1-3
How it Happened (Southern Maine):
* Plymouth State got wins from McClure and Froio against the Huskies, the No. 5 team in New England in this week's New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) team rankings.
* Wrestling at 149 pounds, McClure picked up his second straight win with a pin of David Kurker in 6:59 to give the Panthers their first points of the day to improve to 3-2 on the year with two pins.
* Froio was PSU's only other winner, earning a narrow 2-1 decision in the third sudden victory period to move to 1-1 on the season.
How it Happened (Rhode Island College):
* Jarvis was the Panthers' lone winner against the Anchormen, picking up a narrow, 5-4 decision at 125 pounds.
* Freshman Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) and Froio put up battles in their bouts.
* Dunn, wrestling at 157 pounds, was nipped by a 6-2 decision and Froio fell in a 3-1 decision.
- Plymouth State is off for the next three weeks for final exams and the holiday break. The Panthers return to action on Jan. 6 for the Scott Viera Invitational at Roger Williams Univeristy.
– 30 –