da Silva wins at 184 pounds
BRISTOL, R.I. – Sophomore Dylan da Silva (Bayville, N.J.) picked up his first tournament win of the season as the Plymouth State University wrestling team competed at the Scott Viera Invitational hosted by the Roger Williams University on Sunday.
da Silva captured his second career tournament title as the Panthers were back on the mat for the first time in nearly a month.
No team scoring was provided as each weight class wrestled for the top four.
Scott Viera Invitational – No Team Scoring
How it Happened:
* da Silva took advantage of a small field at 184 pounds, needing just two wins to capture the title. After a bye in the quarterfinal round he picked up a pin over George Horta of WPI in 1:54 to advance to the championship.
* da Silva picked up a second win by fall in the championship bout, needing 2:37 to dispatch of Springfield College's Seve Burgos.
* Freshman Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) opened his day with a pin of Rafiq Conway of AIC at 165 pounds, but dropped a narrow 4-1 decision in his second bout. He wrapped up his day with a loss to Chris Behen of Johnson & Wales in the consolation bracket.
* Also competing for the Panthers were seniors Colby Ferretti (Glocester, R.I.) and Kevin Thomas (Stamford, Conn.), sophomore Derek Sardella (Billerica, Mass.) and freshman Will Jarvis (Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.).
Inside the Numbers:
* da Silva's last tournament title came at the Ted Reese Invitational on Dec. 2, 2017.
* He improves to 8-4 on the season with five pins, while improving his career record to 19-6.
* Dunn's pin was the first of his career.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"It was a solid day," said head coach Eric Bergeron. "Dylan [da Silva] started off the second half of the season the right way. Billy [Dunn] and Colby [Ferretti] both moved up a weight and will look to make some noise there. The team is looking forward to being at home for the Jim Aguiar Invitational and continuing to work hard each week."
* Plymouth State hosts the annual Jim Aguiar Invitational on Saturday (Jan. 12) at the Bank of New Hampshire Field House at ALLWell North starting at 10:00 a.m.
– 30 –