Froio, Dunn lead Panthers
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) and freshman Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) were the top performers as the Plymouth State University wrestling team competed at the Wildcat Open hosted by Johnson & Wales University at Wildcat Center on Sunday.
Froio went 2-2, finishing sixth at 197 pounds, while Dunn also went 2-2 on the day while competing at 165 pounds.
Wildcat Open – No Team Scoring
How it Happened:
* Froio opened the day with a 4-2 setback to David Heath of Brown University, but rebounded to topple Armani Dotson of Roger Williams by fall in 6:21.
* Froio followed with a 4-0 decision to set up a rematch with Heath, but lost a 7-0 decision before having to take a medical forfeit the fifth place match.
* Dunn got off to a good start with a 5-3 decision over Steven Ocampo of Johnson & Wales. After a 5-1 setback to Fox Maxwell of Bridgewater State, currently ranked eighth in New England, he rallied to earn a narrow 3-2 win over Michael Fernadez of Trinity.
* Dunn was nipped in a sudden victory overtime to Kenneth Cooper of LIU-Post, 6-4.
Inside the Numbers:
* Senior Colby Ferretti (Glocester, R.I.) went 1-2 on the day at 157 pounds, including a pin of Dominick LaRusso of Johnson & Wales.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"It was a great day of wrestling," said head coach Eric Bergeron. "After having a week off, everyone showed improvements. Billy [Dunn] and Matt [Froio] both wrestled tough and had some hard fought battles. Matt is now at 197, a weight class that should fit him perfectly."
* The Panthers head right back to Johnson & Wales on Saturday (Feb. 2) for a quad with the host Wildcats, Castleton University and Springfield College.
– 30 –