Froio, Dunn post wins for shorthanded Panthers
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) and freshman Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) each posted wins as the Plymouth State University wrestling team faced off with regional and national powers at the Johnson & Wales University quad meet on Saturday.
PSU dropped all three meets, falling to #2 Johnson & Wales University, Springfield College and Castleton University.
Froio and Dunn earned the Panthers' lone wins, both coming against Springfield.
Plymouth State 0, #2 Johnson & Wales 53
Plymouth State 0, Castleton 56
Plymouth State 6, Springfield 47
Plymouth State (0-7)
#2 Johnson & Wales (22-4)
How it Happened:
* #2 Johnson & Wales flexed its muscle, demonstrating why it is one of the top teams in the nation. The shorthanded Panthers were forced to forfeit four weight classes.
* Froio faced the fifth-ranked wrestler in the nation at 197 pounds, falling in a 12-0 major decision.
* PSU gained some momentum in the day's middle match with Springfield, as Froio and Dunn both posted wins.
* Dunn earned a 6-4 decision at 165 pounds, while Froio posted a 2-1 sudden victory win at 197.
* PSU was forced to forfeit at five of the ten weights.
* The Panthers closed out the day against Castleton, with Froio's narrow 4-1 decision loss the most competitive of the rounds.
* The Panthers visit Western New England University next Saturday (Feb. 9) for a dual meet with the Golden Bears starting at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –