da Silva still in contention for Panthers
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Sophomore Dylan da Silva (Bayville, N.J.) was the lone Plymouth State University wrestler to advance to day two as the Panthers opened the NCAA Division III Northeast Regional Championship at Wildcat Center on the campus of Johnson & Wales University on Saturday.
Wrestling at 184 pounds, da Silva went 2-1 on the opening day and needs three wins on Sunday to qualify for the NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships next month.
NCAA Division III Northeast Regional Championship – 17th of 17 Teams
How it Happened:
* da Silva opened the tournament with a 15-4 major decision victory, but lost by fall in the second round to Khamri Thomas of JWU, ranked #4 in the nation.
* He rebounded to earn a 9-4 decision in his final bout of the day.
* Needing three wins to reach the national championship, da Silva will wrestle Jason Hoffman of Castleton, ranked fifth in New England, in his first bout on Sunday. The pair met on Feb. 2, when Hoffman earned a technical fall win.
* Senior Matt Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) went 1-2 at 197 pounds, falling by a narrow 6-3 decision to the #3 wrestler in New England, Simon Chee of Wesleyan.
* Froio earned a medical forfeit win in his second bout, but dropped another close decision, 5-2, to Michael Curtis of WPI, ranked fourth in the region.
* Also wrestling for the Panthers were freshman Will Jarvis (Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.) at 125 pounds, junior Steve Abusheery (North Attleboro, Mass.) at 149 pounds, senior Colby Ferretti (Glocester, R.I.) at 157 pounds and freshman Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) at 165 pounds. Three of the four faced off with regionally ranked opponents, including Abusheery who fell to the top wrestler in the country in his weight class, Da'mani Burns of JWU.
* da Silva will look to string together three straight wins on Sunday (Feb. 24) to become the second Panther to qualify for the national championship in the last three years.
– 30 –