Giffard places fourth at 197 pounds
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Noah Giffard (Concord, N.H.) placed fourth at 197 pounds to lead the Plymouth State University wrestling team at the Jim Aguiar Invitational at the Bank of New Hampshire Field House at ALLWell North on Saturday.
Giffard went 4-2, winning twice by fall, and narrowly missed a third place finish after losing by decision, 5-3, in the third place bout. It is his third tournament place this season, most among the Panthers.
The tournament was named in honor of former PSU head wrestling coach Jim Aguiar, who led the Panthers from 1974-85 and served as an assistant from 2003-15. Aguiar lost his battle with cancer in the summer of 2015.
Jim Aguiar Open – 8th of 12 Teams
How it Happened:
- Wrestling at 197 pounds, Giffard picked up a win by fall in just 26 seconds to open the day, before falling by decision, 7-3, against Coast Guard's George Mcburney.
- He cruised through the consolation bracket with another quick pin (47 seconds) and an 18-2 technical fall victory before moving into the third place bout thanks to a medical forfeit.
- Giffard and Mcburney squared off in a rematch with third place on the line, but Mcburney was able to hold on for a 5-3 decision.
- Senior Steve Abusheery (North Attleboro, Mass.) went 2-2 at 157 pounds, picking up a win by fall in 4:58 and a strong, 6-4 decision over Roger Williams' John Nieroda.
- Sophomore Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) also split his four bouts with both wins coming by fall at 165 pounds.
- Freshman Trevor O'Mara (Litchfield, N.H.) at 149 pounds and junior Kevin Thomas (Stamford, Conn.) at 184 pounds also picked up wins for PSU.
- PSU will compete in the NEWA Dual Championships next Sunday (Jan. 19) at the Rhode Island Convention Center.
– 30 –