Folino wins twice for Panthers
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Freshman Angelo Folino (New Hartford, Conn.) won twice and was named to the All-Tournament Team to lead the Plymouth State University wrestling team at the annual New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) Dual Meet Championships at the Rhode Island Convention Center on Sunday.
Folino picked up wins by decision against Bridgewater State and Wesleyan as PSU competed against the top programs in New England.
#6 Johnson & Wales, the Panthers' first round opponent, went 4-0 to win the tournament, topping #10 Coast Guard in the finals. PSU went 0-4 on the day.
NEWA Dual Meet Championships – 16th of 16 Teams
Round 1 – Plymouth State 0, #6 Johnson & Wales 54
Round 2 – Plymouth State 7, Bridgewater State 44
Round 3 – Plymouth State 18, Wesleyan 33
Round 4 – Plymouth State 0, Norwich 50
How it Happened:
- PSU was overpowered by national powerhouse Johnson & Wales in the opening round, before moving on to face Bridgewater State in round two.
- Folino picked up a win by decision (10-7) at 141 pounds and freshman Josh Fernandez (Haverstraw, N.Y.) added a major decision (17-6) win at 149 pounds to account for the Panthers' points.
- Folino added another win by decision (7-3) as PSU squared off against Wesleyan in round three. Freshman Christian Kuechler (Chester, N.H.) also earned a win by decision (6-4) while wrestling at 141 pounds, while sophomore Billy Dunn (Sudbury, Mass.) and senior Steve Abusheery (North Attleboro, Mass.) were awarded wins by forfeit.
- PSU came up empty in its final dual of the day, falling at the hands of Norwich.
- Plymouth State heads to Bridgewater State for a tri-meet with the Bears and Williams on Feb. 1.
– 30 –