Abusheery celebrated on Senior Day
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Visiting Norwich University won five straight weight classes to surge past Plymouth State University, 33-8, in a dual meet at Foley Gymnasium on Wednesday evening.
Prior to the match, Plymouth State honored senior Steve Abusheery (North Attleboro, Mass.), a four-year team member and two-time captain, in a brief Senior Day ceremony.
Following a Norwich win by fall at 133 pounds, freshman Angelo Folino (New Hartford, Conn.) picked up a decisive 16-1 technical fall win at 141 pounds to cut the margin to 6-5. The Cadets rattled off five straight wins to take control, though, ultimately holding on for the win.
Plymouth State falls to 0-10 on the season, while Norwich moves to 2-9 in duals.
Plymouth State 8, Norwich 33
Plymouth State (0-10)
How it Happened:
- After a double forfeit at 125, freshman Cameron Woolridge (Roanoke, Va.) earned a win by fall at 133 to put the Cadets ahead.
- Folino was impressive at 141 pounds, rolling to a 16-1 technical fall victory to trim the margin to 6-5.
- Norwich followed with a 9-5 decision at 149, win by fall at 165 and 11-5 decision at 165 to push the advantage to 18-5.
- PSU forfeited at 174 pounds, and sophomore Daniel Curran (Peterborough, N.H.) won by pin at 184 as the Cadets extended the lead to 30-5.
- Freshman Noah Giffard (Concord, N.H.) earned a 6-2 decision at 197, but the visitors won by decision at heavyweight to secure the victory.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"These guys are putting in the effort day in and day out," said head coach Eric Bergeron. "We're continuing to change the culture and they are sticking through it and definitely made me proud tonight. It's been an honor to have Steve [Abusheery] here. It was a no-brainer to name him a captain last year. He's always there, always hustling. He's the first in and last out every day and is a great example for the young guys on this team."
- Plymouth State is off for ten days before competing in the Henry Marsh Invitational at the University of New Hampshire on Feb. 15.
- Norwich hosts Southern Maine in a dual meet on the same day.
|Abusheery (center) with his father (right) and Coach Bergeron|
– 30 –