Schmidt, Panthers post second straight shutout
CASTLETON, Vt. – Senior Annaliese Schmidt (Newmarket, N.H.) made four saves as the Plymouth State University and Castleton University women's soccer teams played for 110 minutes and finished in a 0-0 double overtime deadlock Saturday evening at Spartan Stadium.
Spartan Stadium, Castleton, Vt. – Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016
Plymouth State 0, Castleton 0
PSU 1-0-1; CU 0-1-1
* Castleton had a 17-11 advantage in total shots, including 4-0 in overtime
* PSU had a 6-4 margin in shots on goal, and doubled up the Spartans in corner kicks, 10-5
* Jessica Binkowski made six saves in the Spartan goal, with a multitude of high-pressure stops.
* With 12 minutes to play in the contest, Castleton's Makenzi Bellando had a prime opportunity to put her team ahead, but Schmidt stole a goal with a diving save.
* Castleton had a chance to grab a victory on its home turf in the second overtime, as Dominique Valancius sent a long ball over the top to Bronwen Hopwood, who pulled the trigger on a shot from 10 yards out, but it ricocheted off the crossbar with just five minutes to play.
* PSU had not allowed a goal in its first two games of the season against Lyndon State and Castleton.
Plymouth State at Salem State, Wednesday, Sept. 7, 8:00 p.m.
-- 30 --