Schmidt, Catania, Swanson key players in Panther victory
BOSTON – A Leah Swanson (Atkinson, N.H.) goal with less than nine minutes to play in regulation proved to be the deciding tally as Plymouth State University defeated the University of Massachusetts Boston women's soccer, 2-1, Saturday afternoon at James Cotter Field in the Little East Conference opener for both teams.
Cotter Field, Boston, Mass. – Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016
Plymouth State 2, UMass Boston 1
PSU 3-0-2 (1-0-0 LEC); UMB 1-6 (0-1-0 LEC)
* UMass Boston ended the Panthers' shutout streak of five straight games and over 400 minutes of playing time to start the season.
* Plymouth State's six-game unbeaten streak continues their best start to a season since the 2003 campaign.
* Knotted at 1-1 with time quickly counting down, registered the game-winning goal for the Panthers off of a beautiful pass from Adrianna Kippenberger (Wilmington, Mass.). Junior Sophie Brisere (Stockholm, Sweden) crossed the ball into the box where Kippenberger flicked it behind her leg to a wide open Swanson, who tapped in to earn her third goal of the 2016 season.
* The Beacons struck first in the form of a Jaclyn O'Grady (Somers, Conn.) penalty kick goal in the 20th minute.
* Plymouth State scored the equalizer in the 32nd minute on a Caitlin Catania (Billerica, Mass.) goal, her first of the campaign. Assisting on the play was Kate Martin (Keene. N.H.) The two players managed to beat the Beacons backline and slipped the ball passed the keeper.
* UMB GK Alyssa Fugiel (Easthampton, Mass.) closed out Saturday's loss with eight stops, while her Plymouth State counterpart Annaliese Schmidt registered eight stops of her own.
Plymouth State at Daniel Webster, Wednesday, Sept. 21, 4:00 p.m.
(With contributions from UMB Sports Information)
-- 30 --