Lloyd scores twice as Robbins logs first career shutout
FARMINGTON, Maine. – Sophomore Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, Vt.) scored a pair of goals to lead the Plymouth State University women's soccer team to a definitive, 5-0 win over the University of Maine Farmington in the season-opener for both teams at Bob Leib Field at Friday afternoon.
Plymouth controlled the contest from the onset, getting on the board in the ninth minute when freshman Taylor Siewierski (Colebrook, N.H.) netted her first career goal, which proved to be the game-winner. PSU improves to 1-0, while the Beavers start the year 0-1.
Plymouth State 5, UMaine Farmington 0
Plymouth State 1-0
UMaine Farmington 0-1
How it Happened:
* PSU needed just over eight minutes to score the first goal of 2018 when Siewierski found the back of the net at the 8:26 mark.
* The Beavers had a shot to tie the game six minutes later when the ball got past freshman goalkeeper Cat Robbins (Franklin, Mass.), but senior Jenna O'Malley (Methuen, Mass.) was able to clear the ball.
* The Panthers took a 2-0 lead in the first half when Lloyd, last year's Little East Conference (LEC) Rookie of the Year, notched her first goal of the season off an assist from junior Amy Luther (Westerly, R.I.).
* Lloyd struck again in the 52nd minute with an unassisted tally to increase the lead to 3-0.
Inside the Numbers:
* Plymouth improved to 2-0 all-time against the Beavers.
* PSU won last year's match-up by the same, 5-0 score.
* The Panthers held a 21-5 advantage in shots and an 11-2 edge in corner kicks.
* Aside from O'Malley's clear, Robbins went untested to earn her first career shutout.
* Lloyd now has four goals and an assist in two career games against UMF.
* Plymouth State opens the season with a W for the fifth straight year.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"The team played well," praised head coach Ryan Joy. "There's a lot to work on, but it's good to say that with a shutout to start the season. We have a lot of new players and several contributed. Today was a good first step."
* PSU opens its home schedule Saturday, Sept. 1 with a non-conference tilt against Northern Vermont University-Lyndon at 1:00 p.m.
* The Beavers are back at home against Saturday, Sept. 1, against Regis College at 2:30 p.m.
– 30 –