Register makes six saves as Panthers post fourth shutout
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman goalkeeper Elena Register (Helena, Ala.) made six saves and the Plymouth State University women's soccer team outshot Curry College 29-9 as the Panthers earned a 3-0 win in a non-conference game at Arold Field on Tuesday afternoon.
PSU controlled play for nearly the full 90 minutes, owning an 18-2 advantage in corner kicks, to record its fourth shutout win of the season.
With the victory Plymouth State moves to 4-1, while Curry slips to 5-3.
Plymouth State 3, Curry 0
Plymouth State 4-1
How it Happened:
* Despite dominating the ball during the first half, Curry freshman goalkeeper Maggie Chamberlain (Taunton, Mass.) kept the Panthers off the scoreboard for the first 41 minutes.
* Sophomore Jordan Meier (Holderness, N.H.) nearly put PSU ahead in the third minute, but her header in the box went off the crossbar and the Colonels were able to clear.
* Freshman Lizzy Bloch (Los Angeles, Calif.) notched her second goal of the season in the 42nd minute off a corner from senior Sabrina Sweeney (Raymond, N.H.). Sweeney inserted the ball to the far post and Bloch's header went off the fingertips of Chamberlain for the 1-0 lead.
* The Panthers kept the pressure on in the second half. Sophomore Dehlia Wright (Newport, Vt.) nearly doubled the lead in the 53rd minute when she blasted a shot from the top left corner of the 18-yard box to the far post. The ball deflected off the post and rolled along the goal line before the Curry defense could clear it.
* Freshman Sarah Hicks (Sutton, Mass.) picked up her third goal of the year off a corner in the 60th minute to put the home team ahead, 2-0. Sophomore Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, Vt.) lifted a deep corner that Hicks volleyed into the goal.
* Curry had a chance on a breakaway five minutes later. Freshman Samantha Borges (Somerset, Mass.) got behind the Panther defense and ripped a shot from the corner of the 18-yard box, but Register made a diving stop.
* Senior Kate Martin (Westmoreland, N.H.) capped the scoring with a beautiful header off another PSU corner in the 81st minute. Sweeney sent a ball to the middle of the box and Martin rose above a Curry defender to drive the ball to the back of the goal.
* Borges almost spoiled the shutout in the 87th minute. After collecting a through ball, she flicked it over a Panther defender leading to a one-on-one with Register. Borges launched a shot, but Register made a clean save.
Inside the Numbers:
* Chamberlain made ten saves for the Colonels in her first career start.
* The Panthers have allowed just one goal through their first five games.
* Each of Plymouth State's four wins have been shutouts, equaling the total number of shutouts from the entire 2017 season.
* Plymouth State owns a 12-1-1 all-time record against the Colonels, including a 2-1 win in the 1987 NCAA New England Regional.
* The Panthers have won the last 12 match-ups, though prior to today the two teams hadn't met since the 1997 season.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"It's nice to bounce back after a loss with another win, and a shutout at that," said head coach Ryan Joy. "It shows our character. It was great to play 25 players and have different people step up and give us the energy we needed in the second half."
* The Panthers travel to Southern Vermont on Thursday (Sept. 20) for a make-up game against the Mountaineers. Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m.
* Curry is also in action on Thursday (Sept. 20), playing host to Fitchburg State at 6:30 p.m.
– 30 –