Robbins makes four saves in LEC loss
CASTLETON, Vt. – The Plymouth State University women's soccer team was unable to find the back of the net Wednesday night, falling to Castleton University, 2-0, in a Little East Conference (LEC) game played at Dave Wolk Stadium.
Despite taking 14 shots, including eight on goal, the Panthers could not get much going offensively. First half goals by Castleton's Rylee Nicholas (North Clarendon, Vt.) and Makenzi Bellando (Carver, Mass.) paced the offense for the Spartans.
With the loss the Panthers move to 6-4-2 (2-4-0 LEC), while Castleton improves to 4-10-1 and 2-3-0 in the Little East.
Plymouth State 0, Castleton 2
Plymouth State 6-4-2, 2-4-0 LEC
Castleton 4-10-0, 2-3-0 LEC
How it Happened:
* Castleton opened the scoring with a goal in the 13th minute when Nicholas received a pass from senior Bronwen Hopwood (Hinesburg, Vt.) and nailed a shot from 20 yards out that found the back of the net.
* The Spartans second goal of the half came in the 36th minute. Bellando took a pass from freshman Krista Girroir (Southwick, Mass.) for the score.
* The Panthers had four shots on goal in the first half that were all turned aside by Castleton goalkeeper Loren Henderson (Rutland, Vt.).
* Both teams struggled to find a rhythm in the second half. Senior Sabrina Sweeney (Raymond, N.H.) gave the Panthers the best chance of scoring, highlighted by two shots on goal.
Inside the Numbers:
* Castleton held a slight 15-14 edge in shots, while the Panthers had a 7-1 advantage in corners.
* The two teams have played a number of close games since they first met in 2007. The all-time series is now tied 5-5, with a pair of ties.
* Five of the ten games have been decided by a single goal.
* Freshman goalkeeper Cat Robbins (Franklin, Mass.) made four saves in the loss.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"This is a tough conference where anyone can beat anyone on any day," said head coach Ryan Joy. "Today was not our day. We will see how the team responds on Saturday."
* Plymouth State hosts UMass Boston for another LEC contest on Saturday (Oct. 13) with kickoff set for 1:00 p.m.
* Castleton is also in league action on Saturday (Oct. 13), hosting Eastern Connecticut for a 1:00 p.m. match.
– 30 –