Robbins makes eight saves in loss
DANBURY, Conn. – Freshman Cat Robbins (Franklin, Mass.) made eight saves, but Western Connecticut State University scored a pair of second half goals to top Plymouth State University, 2-0, in a Little East Conference women's soccer game at the Westside Athletic Complex on Friday night.
Robbins halted a couple of WestConn scoring chances in the first half, but the hosts broke through in the 54th minute when senior Allison Oakley (Beekman, N.Y.) scored in traffic in front of the goal. The Colonials grabbed an insurance goal in the 73rd minute to secure the win.
With the loss the Panthers' season comes to an end at 6-8-2 and 2-6 in LEC play. WestConn improves to 12-8-0 and 6-2 in conference action to secure the top seed for next week's Little East Conference Tournament.
Plymouth State 0, WestConn 2
Plymouth State 6-8-2, 2-6 LEC
WestConn 12-8-0, 6-2 LEC
How it Happened:
* WestConn had a chance to get on the board early when senior Aileen Maloney (Trumbull, Conn.) had a breakaway attempt in the 9th minute, but Robbins was up to the task.
* Robbins made a diving save moments later on a shot from freshman Kaleigh Panek (Shelton, Conn.).
* Plymouth State put built some offensive momentum in the 12th minute. Sophomore Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, Vt.) had her shot blocked by a defender, though. A minute later freshman Madeline Parisi (Hillsboro, N.H.) saw her shot drift over the crossbar and seconds later classmate Sarah Hicks (Sutton, Mass.) was denied by freshman Karly Martin (Bristol, Conn.).
* Oakley was able to put the hosts up in the 54th minute after collecting a chipped ball from junior Jasmine Grey (Naugatuck, Conn.) off a free kick.
* Panek made it 2-0 in the 73rd minute when junior Bailey McCollum (Cold Spring, N.Y.) sent her on a run down the right side. Panek's shot to the top corner was her 11th of the year.
* WestConn was able to control possession from there to run out the clock.
Inside the Numbers:
* The Colonials held a 24-8 advantage in shots, though less than half of them were on target.
* For the second straight year, Plymouth State's leading goal-scorer was a freshman as Sarah Hicks (Sutton, Mass.) led the Panthers with eight goals, the eighth highest total in the conference.
* Sophomore Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, Vt.) followed up her LEC Rookie of the Year season with another strong showing, finishing second on the team with six goals and 15 points.
* Robbins wraps up her rookie campaign with a stingy 1.00 goals against average, best in the LEC. Her .816 save percentage was the third highest in the league after logging 810 minutes in goal.
* The setback marked the final game of the careers of PSU seniors Leandra Nault (Goffstown, N.H.), Sabrina Sweeney (Raymond, N.H.), Jenna O'Malley (Methuen, Mass.), Kate Martin (Westmoreland, N.H.), Hannah Murdough (Hillsboro, N.H.) and Tabitha Josefik (Manchester, N.H.).
– 30 –